|Seventeen|

The light floral dress I wore for my brothers wedding contrasted well with its white base, blue and purple flowers against my tanned skin as I stride into the church.  Situated in a small village in the North of England, the summer air was cool compared to that of Porto Rico, even if it's almost impossible to become sunburnt on the very few sunny days here. 

But today was one of those rare days.

I'd forgotten how the sun made my skin appear as if I'd fallen in a pile of mud and rolled around in it. Compared to Owens funny orange and my workmates darker skin tones, I seemed pale. Here, I stuck out like a sore thumb as I gripped tightly onto Owens arm as he guided me into the bustling church. 

I still don't like busy events. 

Dressed in a white shirt and black suit trousers; Owen scrubbed up beautifully. His hair somewhat groomed and styled after a good wash. He seemed to be glowing... uncomfortably. I could tell he'd much rather be in his shorts and vest but today was Adams wedding. My brother, not by blood- but my brother all the same. 

"Please don't let go," I whisper to Owen as I stand as closely to him as I can, whilst looking for a pew near the front; some set aside for family and close friends.
"Never in a million years," he whispers to me, kissing my temple as his hand guides me forward from the base of my back.

I was about to take a seat when I hear a call for me not far away,

"My baby!" squeals Helen as my adoptive mother tackles me in a tight hug, barely making it possible to keep a hold of Owens hand. Her height a little taller than my own short frame.

"Hi," I gasp, as she eventually pulls back to rest her slightly withering hands on my shoulders, "Missed you" I smile as she beams back at me.

"Aw darling, I missed you too!" she nearly cries. She looks up behind me to Owen. Her eyes widening as she takes in his large form. 

"You've got a good eye for the hotties," she teases before taking Owen into an uncomfortable looking hug- on his end- as Helen appears to try to feel for more than what she should be.
"Helen?" I question, as she pulls away and smiles like the cat that has the cream.

"Nice butt, good thighs, strong stature with good posture and nice teeth," she rattles off as if ticking a mental check list, "He'll do." she pouts.

"Excuse me?" Owen eventually snaps out of his daze as he places an arm around my waist and pulls me into his side, "I exceed you're expectations, Helen," he smirks whilst looking down at me.

"Of course!" She almost squeals like a child, "If I were twenty or so years younger I'd be locking you up in my bed room and we wouldn't be leaving for a few days at least!" she babbles excitedly, making my cheeks turn red with embarrassment.

"Sorry love," Owen smiles as he kisses my head and squeezes me with his arm, "I belong to this beautiful lady,"

"I'm beautiful too and I don't see you kissing me," she beams back, making me almost choke on my spit, "I'm kidding! Relax hunnie, he's too orange for me" she chuckles before ushering us to a seat.

"I think I've worked my magic on her," Owen chuckles against my ear as he leans down so I can hear him over the chattering of the large crowd of people; his hot breath tickling my neck.
"She seems to like me more than you do," he teases. I tighten my grip on the hand that holds his in my lap. My cheeks instantly brighten back to their beetroot red at his remarks before I turn my head so that were cheek to cheek, in attempts to hide the colouring. 

"It's not her you have to impress," I tease as I kiss his cheek before standing and turning to the smartly dressed brother of mine as he stands nervously at the alter. 

"Zoe," He smiles as he sees me. His nervous face lighting up as he takes me into a tight hug. I've missed him. 

Smiling, I pull away to brush an invisible bit of dust from his shoulders, "Three year engagement finally getting to you," I beam as he sighs at my comment- what was, the running joke of the family was that Adam proposed to Megan three long years ago and that they seemed to always be too busy to get anything planned for a wedding day. Eventually, Helen had enough and basically dragged them both by the ear to sit down and start planning. "I want to see my grand babies before I snuff it," she'd ranted at them. 

The bliss of living thousands of miles away. 

"You'll be fine," I say in my quiet voice as I give him another squeeze and make a dash back to Owen so that I'm not cornered by someone who I barely know. Thankfully, Owen was in a light conversation with a few of my brothers friends when I appear with a shy, but polite "Hello," for them all. 

Eventually, we were all seated and the music for the bride to make her entrance began echoing off the stone church walls. Megan looked stunning in her white fishtail gown that danced across the stone floor as she walked, holding tightly onto her fathers arm, as she makes her way down the isle. Her auburn hair in an intricate bun at the nape of her neck, whilst her veil casts a small glow over her skin as she moves as lightly as a feather on a breeze. A beautiful bride. 

The wedding ceremony was short but sweet, with the summer sun shining through the stain glass windows above to cast many shades of coloured light into the packed room. A few hours later and we've all arrived at the grand gardens where the rest of the day shall continue. Owen and I spend the afternoon getting lost in the maze and walking under the dappled shade of the ancient trees as we wait for night to arrive. 

The new couple are introduced to everyone before a small meal and then dancing till the early hours. It's a good opportunity for Owen to meet my family and he quickly captures everyone under his spell of his sly smirks and witty comments. Many tedious questions are repeated over and over again. 

How and where did we meet? Sorry... where do you work again? Why do you work there? Dinosaurs? Can I have discount?

Even when we aren't there, it seems like the park follows us wherever we go. 

Never the less I was happy. For the first time, in a long time, I could see some of the stress lift from Helen's shoulders as she watched Owen and I dance and sway to the music slowly. She worries too much. I even notice the glance she passes to Adam, who answers with a nod. Owen's approval. 

What I do miss however, is the sly nod Adam also gives to Owen over my shoulder.