|Twenty Six|

"Adult female, trauma ETA fifteen minuets,"

The intercom spoke over the loud system, whilst I was entertaining myself with writing up the reports of my patients after the rounds. The first few hours of the night shift having been pleasantly quiet. 

It was currently 2:47am, the small, cheap and plastic, clock displayed as I lifted my head from the glaring screen; my black rimmed glasses having fallen down my nose as I worked. A small photo frame sat beside the large screen and within it, held a picture taken of Owen, a seven month old Daniel, Solo and I sat together on the steps of the bungalow with smiles on our faces. Solo leaning himself across my lap as Owen holds Daniel on his knee. Vivian had taken the photo on one of her many visits to see  her first cousin once removed. It's easier for Daniel to attempt to call her auntie Vivian rather than keep all the fancy terms.  

Locking the computer and removing my ID card from it's reader, I stand quickly and make my way out of the tranquil office. The corridors having a small buzz about them at the patient about to be laid out in front of us like food at a banquet. 

A small team of trained doctors and nurses all collecting at the rendezvous point whilst we prepared the machines and made sure all the apparatus that we could possible require was tested and readily available. All six o f us taking a well needed breath as we focused and waited for the patient to be wheeled in. 

It didn't take long for her to arrive.

I could hear the slightly raised voices, as first responders relayed information to the doctor overseeing this particular event, whilst they rounded the bright corridor and pulled the groaning woman into the suite. Myself pulling the ugly, blue, paper curtain across and around the team to act as a screen against anyone walking past. 

The preliminary assessment of the patient, to observe any immediate harm to the patients condition began. All our trained eyes examining the female who's face was covered in blood and so was her left arm. No continuous bleeding. Just those from the laceration on her shoulder and face.

Her breathing seemed laboured and uneven. 

"Get an IV with plenty of fluids,"

"Someone set me up a BP monitor,"

We all worked like clockwork as José observed with intrigued eyes; a broad Hispanic man with dark brown eyes, a neatly trimmed head of hair and a goatee to accompany it. His face appeared calm and controlled as he observed the movement of his team on the patient whilst he analysed and relayed the information the retreating first responders had notified him with. 

"This is Samantha, a twenty- two year old woman from Bordeaux, France," Nearly every eye flickered to me as I approached the bed, pushing away my nerves and allowing the adrenaline coursing through my veins to push away my need to shrink away from everyone's eyes. 

French was a strong and somewhat easy language for me to translate.

Léo, was currently unavailable and so I would be the preliminary translator for the moment. 

"She has been administered a 3 milliliter does of methoxyflurane at 02:18 hundres hours to help with chest and shoulder pain,"

"Hello Samantha, I'm Zoe and I'm going to be one of your nurses today, okay?" I try to act calm as I make my way over to her head so her frantic eyes can focus on me whilst I address her. 

"I'm going to press down gently on your stomach and pelvic area to see if you're hurting anywhere else, sweetheart. Are you okay for me to do that?" 

"Yes, yes just make it stop hurting!" she gasps for air. One of my team mates placing an oxygen mask over her tear stained face that has makeup smudged everywhere due to her crying. Her blue eyes surrounded by once perfect eyeliner and mascara that now trails down her cheeks, leaving track marks across her hot face. I get a tissue and wipe her face for her so she can feel a little more comfortable.