To keep you from breaking my heart

"Joe..." Jackie said as if she has seen a ghost. "What... what are you doing here" she asked

"Jack called me as soon as you were dosed up on medications, you should have heard how excited he was" Joe smiled. Jackie still sat there dumbfounded, she hasn't seen Joe in what seemed forever.

"Yeah, you could say he was more prepared than i was" she laughed awkwardly. Joe felt the need for what Jackie felt, an explanation to things. 

"Her name is Caroline" she blushed

"I know, Jack called me"

"called you" she said at the same time as Joe,  laughing. "Does the rest of the family know?" she asked nervously.

"No, he decided to atleast give it a day or two because you know, they can be a bit overwhelming" he winked. She nodded. 

"Tell me about it" she joked. Joe grabbed a chair and moved it close to Jackie. 

"So tell me, how have you been?" he said with that gaze.

"I've been... good" she hesitantly said. Joe knew she was lying but knew that it was not the time to argue. 

"I'm glad to hear that" he said with a slight concerned look on his face.

"And you ?" she said grabbing a glass of water next to her.

"Like wise, I've just been so busy with work and all" 

"What do you work in?" 

"The same thing as always" he said looking away for a slight second because he knew that would bring a slight look from Jackie. "When do you discharge from the hospital?" he asked to keep the conversation going. 

"Tomorrow, at least i hope" she frowned. Joe couldn't hold it in any longer.

"I did cheat" he said abruptly. Jackie was in shock, such a random thing to say.

"Joe... I..." she looked up because she knew the tears would soon be coming and she already felt them building up. "I didn't expect anything serious from you. You were  there for me when i needed somebody and i thank you for that, but i know i love Jack and always have"

"I'm sorry" he sadly replied. Joe knew although he was nothing serious to Jackie, he would have to be there for her, and although what he felt for her was serious. he could never tell her that. For the man she loved was his brother. 

"Joe, it's alright" she said putting a hand on his cheek.  He thought of what he could do to help his brother win back the woman he loved. 

"What do you say, after you discharge you and Jack go out. Ill take care of Caroline. Give her a formal meeting to her Uncle Joe" 

"I wouldnt want to give you any trouble" she said shyly

"It'd be no trouble, after all she is family. As are you" he said holding her hand. She smiled and looked at Joe.

"Oh Joe" she giggled. 

"Just wear something fancy, Jack is certainly going to take you somewhere fancy" he winked. Jackie felt her heart explode, she was finally getting what she wanted out of Jack. Nothing but pure love and a little bit of his time. Meanwhile Joe, looked at how beautiful she looked even in hospital gowns. Her smile so radiant and even more perfect, and her lips so well shaped, always desirable. . Her eyes with that sparkle of charisma and charm. 

"What do you say?" he asked with pain in his heart.