World We Knew

Jack and Jackie now hand in hand. Dancing with their charismatic ways, with each move they let out a sway of romance. 

"You look stunning" he said whispering in her ear. She smiled and blushed. 

"Only because you make me feel this way" Jack gave a heart melting smile.

"I think i better sit down for a few" he said talking about his back. Jackie frowned, she didn't want to let go of this moment. They went back to their table and sat. Jack immediately got drawn into a conversation and left Jackie to nothing but silence. 

David noticed Jackie sitting there silent, he went up to her. "May I?" 

"Of course" she smiled. "Jack I will be back" she told him

David lead Jackie to the dance floor and smiled at her. Though he refused to make eye contact. Jackie knew what she did was wrong, not call him or even tell him she was going to get married.

"David... I'm sorry I just forgot about you" she said "I know I should have called". He broke his no eye contact and looked at her.

"It's alright." she knew he was deeply offended because of her actions. 

"I'm happy now" she said brokenly

"Are you?" he asked knowing she wasn't. She looked down and gulped.

"I am" 

"Jackie I want to tell you someth-" David was interrupted by another woman asking to switch. He kindly accepted and let go of Jackie's hand. She was offered a hand by another young, handsome man but she kindly declined. She saw Jack sitting there looking at her, she smiled but it faded once he saw no one else was at the table. She felt he only paid attention to her when  no one else was around to talk to him about politics or other women

"How about another one?" Jack asked her with those eyes.

"No, Jack im quite frankly annoyed."

"How do you mean?" She looked at him and rolled her eyes. She missed Caroline, she needed to talk to someone who understood her. "Honey, come on.. for Caroline?" 

"For Caroline" she said looking at Joe across the room as she got up. As they approached the dance floor Frank Sinatra's "World we knew" came on and Jack immediately pulled Jackie in closer. She for once felt what she had felt for him before the constant womanizing became a problem. 

"I love you" he said looking into her eyes. And for once Jackie felt what she meant.

"I love you too" 

The song was perfect in the moment and Jackie knew that it would be their song. Every couple had to have a song. Their hearts connected through gazes and she smiled. He looked at her in a way words have ceased to interpret, the way emotions would look if the eyes were all that we had. The song ended but their feelings didn't until...

"Jack!" Rose shouted. She waved at him and looked to her side. A young man about Jacks age was standing there. 

"That's our song" Jack said to her. "That's it" 

She smiled. It was impeccably strange he had said something she was thinking. 

"Let's go" he said kissing her cheek. 

The man Rose had introduced to Jack was also thinking of running for senator, a young man. His wife had been at home taking care of the baby. Though Jackie could not disclose the fact that she has had a daughter without marrying, she showed a bit of sympathy for the Senators wife. 

"It was lovely meeting you  Mr. Smith" Jackie said as Ethel dragged Jackie out onto the dance floor. 

"Would you mind if I steal her from you?" Joe asked Ethel.

"Not at all" Ethel laughed 

Jackie looked at him and smiled. 

"I told you I was expecting a dance" he smirked.

"As did I" she said. 

"Are you okay?" he asked her. "I've noticed you seem a bit tense" she looked at him and wanted to explain everything. He got the hint and asked her if she wanted to go outside. She was felt she would burst into tears if she spoke so all she did was nod. 

Once outside Joe looked at her and frowned. "Tell me"

She broke down. Her emotions got the best of her. She thought of how swollen her eyes would be and how red her face would show once she goes back inside. "It's.... all of this is overwhelming" she leaned her head back and tried to take a deep breath. 

"It's okay, why don't we head home early?" he said tucking a piece of hair behind her ear. "Just the both of us" 

"Joseph?" a lady said from afar."Joe jr?!" 

Though it was a dark evening he recognized her. 

"Dana Keys?" 

"How have you been" she said after finally realzing Jackie was standing there. "Oh how rude of me! You must be Joe's wife" 

"We're not ma-"

"Dana Keys" she said taking her hand out of her glove to shake jackies hand. "Its a pleasure"

"Jacqueline Bou-"

"Kennedy! Tell me, how does it feel being a Kennedy?" she interrupted. 

"Dana, I see you're married now?" Joe said noticing the ring on her left hand just as she took her glove off.

"Engaged" she smiled. "Mark Tipton"

"Congratulations" Joe said. 

"Thank you! but tell me Joe, how have you and your wife been?" 

" We were just headed home, she's been feeling a little rough lately." Dana frowned and touched Jackies hand. 

"I hope you get better, you know that may or not mean you could be expecting" she winked at Jackie. She laughed,

"Let's hope so" Jackie said going along with it. Dana then said her goodbye to the pair and left inside. 

"I guess we're married" Jackie laughed. Joe looked at her with her puffy eyes and red nose. 

"I wish we were" he smiled. They just stood there gazing at eachother when Joe reached in for a kiss. So lost into the kiss neither could hear the door open.

"Jackie?!" Ethel said shocked.

(I know this song came out in 1967 but i honestly get a nostalgic feeling with Jack and Jackie to it)