Evening Talk

Jackie was speechless. Still feeling the ache from the passing of Dr. Patton. She felt the whole room judging her and staring. Jack looked at her with hopeful eyes, Joe looked at her with teary eyes, she knew it hurt him. 

"Yes" she said crying. "Yes, John I will" she said laughing with tears of joy. Everybody clapped and a couple of the women were crying. Jackie looked at Joe, he was clapping too. Jack slid the ringer on to her finger and kissed her. In that moment she felt a rush of hope and sorrow. The mixture of the two made her cry even more.

Later that evening as tears were shed, and joy was spread, Jackie couldn't help but wonder what Joe was feeling. 

"We have been invited to a dinner tomorrow in honor of Samuel Mulder's,  Birthday" Rose said before wishing everybody a goodnight. 

"Mulder?" Jackie thought. Of course it must have been a coincidence, David being related to Mr. Mulder must be a one in a million chance. 

Everybody wished eachother a good night. Jackie was embraced with Jacks arms. "I love you" he whispered. 

"I love you too." Soon after Jack fell asleep. It took Caroline a couple of minutes after Jack but sleep soon won over her little body and had her sound asleep. She now lay awake looking at Jack. His face was so cute when he was asleep. He looked so peaceful and comfortable. She couldnt stop staring at his lips. The soft and  plump temptation of kissing them were about to win her over. But, she didn't want to wake him.  She turned onto her other side and sighed. 

The clock now said 2:48 and Jackie, was still restless. Dr. Patton could not leave her mind. She ached for the woman. Her husband cheating on her, and with her closest friend. Jackie felt she would have gone crazy for sure. Whether her cause of death was natural, or depression just took over, she went crazy thinking of why her doctor might have died. She decided to go to the porch and just enjoy the evening stars. 

"Can't sleep either" said Joe creeping up behind her. 

"No" she said startled. 

"Is it the excitement from being engaged?" he asked

"Not at all" 

"You don't seem too happy about it?" he asked sitting next to her.

"I am... it's just... So many things are going through my head" she lowered her head

"Talk to me" he said lifting it.

"Oh Joe, I wouldn't want to bother you this late"

"Jackie, its fine." She hesitated and then looked at him. He gave her that assuring look that he would be there to listen, and if anything he would love to hear from her in that feathery voice. 

"Jack, came out of no where with the proposal" 

"Isn't that the point?" he asked sarcastically. She looked at him and smiled. 

"It is.. but..." she couldn't figure out how to put it.

"Are you having second thoughts?" They both looked at each other. Jackie knew what he meant.

"Of course not... I... I love John"

"John? I have never heard you call him that" he asked getting a little annoyed.

"You know what I meant" 

"Jackie... we both know that you and I-"

"Joe, please. You know we cant do this" she said trying to avoid any hurt. Joe got closer to her and touched her hand.

"I just don't want you to do anything you'll regret later on" 

They looked into each other eyes and for once Jackie understood. She truly felt it.

"I wouldn't want to confuse Caroline" she said taking her hand away. Caroline, the one thing that has both a part of her and the man she loves. At least she thinks she does...

"I know you're worried about her Jackie, but she will be fine, Obviously she was brought to you for a reason an-" Jackie started to cry. Dr. Patton was the reason Caroline was brought into Jackie's life. Dr. Patton who's life had to turmoil, into nothing but hell and suffering to confuse her clients and make a wonderful mistake. Jackie felt her tears fall into her lap, each one was warm, she felt her heart ache again. 

"Jackie, is it something I said?" Joe asked concerned.

"The... the call I got" she could not control her tears, even breathing at this point seemed like something she had to fight for. Joe realized she couldn't calm her self down and took her into his arms. 

"It's alright" he said. At this point her shaking seemed to calm a little but her tears were still flowing. 

"The call I got this evening during dinner, It was my doctors husband" she tried her best to keep from crying. "She... she died"

Joe hugged her. Saying he was sorry, was not going to do anything but make Jackie feel hopeless. "Joe she was the reason for everything" she cried. He was confused but knew it was not the time to ask questions. Jackie looked at him and felt the need. The need to kiss him. But her fiance was just inside, with their daughter. She was soon to be a Kennedy. Just not, "Mrs. Joseph Patrick Kennedy Jr." and she knew that it could never happen. 

For the sake of Caroline.