White Queen (as it began)

June of 1978

I always knew i had this wild side of me that was itching to get out, i never really knew why i had a love of music like no other 14 year old. it was June of 1978 and all the latest groovy music was pure, and out there. My mother gave me my very own 1978 Concept 16.5 Receiver the best stereo i could have ever have gotten. i would rock out everyday from sunlight to sunset. "Vanessa please turn that stereo down a little" my mother would always burst out. I don't know why my mom always spoiled me, but i had a sassy attitude my mom says i get it from my dad, but the funny part is i don't really know my dad to judge for myself. i guess you can say i was too 'fab' all the time.

i noticed as i grew up each day, my mom would notice more and more about my personality and it would drive her crazy

i noticed as i grew up each day, my mom would notice more and more about my personality and it would drive her crazy. if i would give her lip she would just say "ugh you remind me of your father!!" and walk away, i was getting curious of who really was my "father" since my mother could easily compare me to him, it was the summer and i felt before school this was my task, other than convincing my mother to put me into a piano class, crazy as it sounds i had a soft spot for classical music, opera and soft ballads. "no, Vanessa!!" she shouted walking away from me. "but why momma, i promise this is something i really want.." i promised to her. "i just bought you your very own stereo is that not enough?" for some reason a piano was not in the cards for me this time, i usually get what i want but this piano was not happening. "please momma i swear, i've always been in love with the piano something about.." she screamed "NO VANESSA!!" she walked outside to smoke a cigarette.

my mother was beautiful as can be, her style was casual and classy she would always wear lots of boyfriend shirts or turtle necks with black or tan tight jeans with her tan or white heels, she was not too tall or not too small, she admire actresses like Sophia Loren and Jane Fonda, and only being 32 years old, her light rosy cheeks with long wavy brown hair that would go down to her hips, she had a light tan skin tone, and tiny noticeable freckles around her nose and cheeks, her eyelashes were long and full and wispy she would always pair a little coat of mascara and a light brown lipstick, her smile was perfect and clean. and she weighed about 135, she was very humble and classy, that's what attracted her most to men. but yet she stayed single, she came from California and later moved to England and after having me in England she moved back to the States after having me for what i have no idea.

July was right around the corner and i figured id have another round of jamming to my stereo, i played a lot of Bee Gees, David Bowie, Led Zeppelin, and the Rolling Stones, i was a full on rocker

July was right around the corner and i figured id have another round of jamming to my stereo, i played a lot of Bee Gees, David Bowie, Led Zeppelin, and the Rolling Stones, i was a full on rocker. But my heart belonged to this band called Queen, they were a British band i remember putting in their new CD "New of the World" their rock anthem was "We Will Rock You/We are the Champions" i blasted it as far as i can, knowing i was probably the only teen on the block who got there hands on this beauty. the chorus was the best part "we are the champions noo timee for loserssss..." than all of a sudden my mom knocks on my door so loud. i almost got scared while she barged in. she didn't say anything she just ran to my stereo "hey! why did you turn it off it was the best part!!" i hoped off my bed "i don't want you listening to them!" i was so confused "but that's QUEEN??!" she shook her head "i don't care Vanessa i don't care for them" she slightly walked away. "wait why?!" i followed her "Vanessa, just listen to me this once okay" i didn't know how to respond "okay mom?" i sat on my bed wondering "is this the real life or just fantasy?" i blurred out "such a Queen reference" and giggled.

i walked down the street to get some pop and as i was coming home i noticed a piano playing in the distance, it was beautiful how it could grab a hold of my attention just like that i was literally drawn to the music, it was coming from one of my neighbors house, as i peeked in their window i could see a older woman in her mid 60's playing on her Steinway Console grand piano, i've read all there was to be known about pianos it never got me bored to know about the instrument. i couldn't help but knock on the old women's door "well hello dear.." she looked fragile with glasses and light gray hair in a cute styled ponytail "hello ma'am i just wanna know if you are playing on a Steinway console.." she interrupted me "you know about grand pianos young lady??" she was surprised but impressed. "but i wish i learned how to play them even more" she was shocked and looked around than at me "how old are you young lady?" "im 14 ma'am" she glanced at me "ill tell you what, if you come over twice a week to help me out around my house, because at my age im not as young as i was to take care of my house since my late husband died, ill help you out with teaching you piano, how is that?" i looked proud to except and didnt hesitate and said "you got a deal" and we shaked on it too.

 "but i wish i learned how to play them even more" she was shocked and looked around than at me "how old are you young lady?" "im 14 ma'am" she glanced at me "ill tell you what, if you come over twice a week to help me out around my house, because...

i've finally got my dream of learning piano and noting was going to stop me from playing not even my mother knowing. she told me her name Mrs. Beth she would be my angel and teacher for the next couple of months. in those short amount of time Mrs. Beth taught me everything there was to learn about the piano the ins and outs which way to hold your finger and what keys to hit "i feel in your other life you were meant to play piano" she would always tell me. when ever she needed me to do things for her i never said no. my mom never expected me leaving to go and play piano, i never really had friends to go out and play with but she thought the opposite. i learned everything from Fredric Chopin to Beethoven to Johann Sebastian Bach, "i've learned something about you that i want to know, does any of your parents or family members know any piano because my dear you are a natural born Mozart??" i looked down to think "well my mom does not play anything but her family they mostly love to sing, but.." i glanced at her "i don't know much about my dad, hes not really in the picture most of my life" she felt bad "well if i were you id look into your dads side" i nodded my head "who knows young lady you could be related to a pianist" that really got me thinking and thinking to bring up to my moms attention next time, no ifs and or buts i needed to know already. As i said goodbye to Mrs. Beth for another day of service i asked her one last time for advice "Mrs. Beth how do i approach my mom about knowing my father?" she smiled "never give up on finding information about him, your father is important to you at this age as he is even if he was in your life"