Hammer to Fall

February 1984
I decided I wanted to dabble into song making, why not, it was already in my genes. So my dads producer Mack Reinhold knew I wanted to test the waters with it and we found a prouder who was who was working on an upcoming album, with these two guys from England. Chris Hughes was his name, so I meet with him. And we talked a bunch and I wanted to work on some music with him. Of course I was so happy and excited to get started! We traveled to a studio in Beckington, England to see about this upcoming duo. As I got there I was asking Chris all these questions, "what are these guys like?" "What kind of sound are they looking for?" "What is there upbringings like?" Random questions I wanted to know to be prepared. I was excited they wanted me to work on sounds with them for their album, the only thing I could bring to the table was maybe a little vocals and some piano. As we got up to the studio the guys were already there to meet me. Chris and I opened the door and I seen the band of 4 guys. I was so nervous like really nervous, I introduced myself and shook all their hands. There was Ian, the tall blonde shaggy guy. "Hi I'm Vanessa it's nice to meet you" and said "it's so good to meet you too" And Many he had goofy smile and was very sweet, "hi I'm Vanessa" he kindly said "wonderful to meet you too". Than Chris paused and said "Ian is keyboards and Many is the drums" and I smiled. "and this is Roland he's the lead vocals and guitar" Roland had curly hair and a big smile with an earring on his ear. I just smiled and said "hi Roland it's so good to meet you" and kindly told me the same back,"so good to meet you too" and Chris chimed in and said "and this is Curt he's bass and lead vocals also." And as I turned to look at Curt he caught my eyes he caught them so good I didn't even notice I was meeting him for the first time. "Hi Curt" he was so cute, he had 7 little braids in the back of his hair with a regular cut on top. I found him so attractive. I smiled so big he told me back, "we are so glad you are here to be working with us is an honor" I laughed and it didn't hit me what he meant. I guess he meant was it was an honor for Freddie Mercury's daughter was going to be working with them. "oh, please I've been wanting to work with somebody for awhile now, so thanks for taking the time out to accept me, I won't let you guys down" he just giggled and put his head down.

I finally got to work, they let me listen to their first album called "The Hurting"

I finally got to work, they let me listen to their first album called "The Hurting". I found the album amazing and the lyrics were awesome. They wanted to shy away from the album a little and make something new and different. So that where I came in we decided to work on a song called "Head Over Heels". The song was going to be on their next album which was going to be released next year. They let me listen to the lyrics, typical lyrics about a boy liking a girl but he's scared the girl will just throw his love away.
As I sat down with Roland and Curt they had an idea "we want an upbeat tempo for keyboards"
Ok cool, sounded a bit easy, they sang me there lyrics and I got it down. I had a tune in my head "dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun, dun."
Curt kept looking at me I could feel him staring at me it didn't bother me I actually loved that he was paying attention to me. I guess you can say I had a crush on him.
We tried at this tune for awhile I was in the studio with them for awhile I say about a month just to get the tune right and keyboards right.

March 1984
After they finished the song, (not yet released yet) I finally got to hear it. It was so awesome and I'm so glad I got to be apart of it. My parts small but I'm so glad I got to work on the song with these guys! Especially Curt, we grew a connection I definitely had feelings for him. He seemed to like me I think, but who knew. I called my dad later. "Yea dad this songs gonna be big I just know it these guys were awesome to work with" my dad of course teased me about my crush on Curt, "so what's going to happen between you guys?" I didn't really think about it. Should I take a chance and see where this went? Or should I just let Curt go. Every time we where alone we just couldn't find the worlds to speak to each other. I would get so giddy and clam up he'd get really shy and smile. Ugh he was so cute his smile had me at hello. He was so very sweet to me. This was my first ever crush and I was 20, and Curt was 23. "Could this even work out dad, I mean would this even be the perfect time to ask?" My dad never gave me dating advice because we'll I never really had crushes. "If it's what your heart wants, darling than go for it!" I had to know if Curt felt the same way about me.

As I walked back into the studio room I looked at Roland then I looked at Curt and Roland looked back at me and than at Curt."we'll I'm going to go call my wife..." as he broke away from the room I let out a sigh of nervousness. Curt was in the sound booth fixing his bass. I slowly walked over to him, my palms were sweaty. He seen me walking in the booth too with a huge smile on his face his gums were showing that's how big he was smiling. And I smiled back.
"Hi Curt..can I have a small talk with you?" I made eye contact with him so he'd know I was serious "yea sure anything.." he nervously said
"we'll from some time know I've been having these feelings for you...I...don't...know if it's just a crush or I'm like actually liking you.." I nervously crossed my hands together. "oh..." he said looking down. I knew it he didn't feel the same about me, how could I be so dumb I knew this was a bad idea.

There was a silence between both of us than he let out a quiet "I've been feeling the same way..." His answer surprised me. "Wait, really?!" He took a step closer and told me "I can't stop thinking about you, I'm sorry Vanessa" I held his face in the palm of my hand and said "you don't have to be sorry...I like you too" and we both hugged each other. In my heart i knew he had to know or I'd let him get away.

When you're in the booth you can't see outside really clear and it was dark outside the booth I guess we had the sound on because when we looked up everyone was smiling at us from outside the booth. We were so embarrassed but relieved, I guess they were secretly rooting for us too!