It's a Hard Life

late 1985

after everything that went on with Live Aid my dad and the band decided it would be best to announce who i was in my fathers life, where i stood at his whole life and why he thought it was "best to keep me as secret" but they didn't know the truth, we only knew the truth and that's all that matters. when word got out that Freddie Mercury had a 19 years old daughter, media started making up rumors, calling out my father for more answers, bothering the other band members saying "do you have her around your kids?" vicious things, but we brushed it off just like many rumors and media hassle.

 when word got out that Freddie Mercury had a 19 years old daughter, media started making up rumors, calling out my father for more answers, bothering the other band members saying "do you have her around your kids?" vicious things, but we brushed...

London's Basket magazine (September 1985

interviewer for London's Basket mag: how has your daughter changed your life, Freddie?

Freddie: well for the better, this isn't the first time shes been in my life, shes just barely coming into your life. i mean shes been in my life since she was born

LB mag: has that effected your career in any way, taking responsibilities and all?

Freddie: no my daughter has helped me in may ways, shes an inspiration if you think so.

LB mag: does she have a favorite uncle?

Brian: well, honestly not a favorite, we think of her as having different favorites that connect us to her in ways, like for example, shes in college studying to get her PHD in Astrophysics, she thought of it being a wonderful career plus its amazing what goes on in space if you think about it, since she was 14 i showed her the universe and she was instantly hooked.

Freddie: she has bits and pieces of her father too, she loves the piano, shes amazed by the way it works i self taught myself, so in a way, she has been with us through everything (he lights a cigarette)

while the band waits for another question to be asked Roger says
"she loves out kids, they love her, I use her as a babysitter if anything. I trust her, we trust her"
-everyone else nods and agrees-

LB mag: you said she's an inspiration to your music, in what way?

Freddie: massively, she's always throwing out ideas, sometimes when we can't think of anything her minds still young she has similar ideas and I get my inspiration from anything that's happening around me so, you know she's happening around me (laughs)

my dad was turning 39 this year, and he was determined to make it a good one, I knew my dad was a cocky basterd who loved to party, but this party was epic. So much was happening, naked men and women ever where. Lots and lots of alcohol I mean so much that people could throw up more of alcohol than food, my father planned the whole thing, so go big or go home, right?

He came looking for me and pulled me aside and said "i've been looking for everywhere!" He yelled it because the party was so loud you couldn't hear yourself think.
"Why are you looking for me, you should be enjoying your party!"
He screamed in my ear, "i want you to meet someone, my darling!!"
I screamed "WHAT?!"
he shouted louder "COME HERE!" he guided me to a room, where the music wasn't so loud anymore. As the music faded I noticed a muscler man that had a build figure, his shirt was off, but only was wearing a bow tie to the party, he had a mustache just my dad's he smiled as we got closer. I was getting confused to why we needed to meet I didn't know him. I've never seen him before.
he brought us closer to eachother standing in between us, my dad looked at both of us and said,
"Jim, this is Vanessa my daughter, my pride and joy!" I shook his hand smiling and awkwardly saying "hi, nice to meet you"
my dad said "Vanessa this is Jim....my boyfriend"
my mouth went from smiling to confused. I let go of his hand a took a step back.
I looked at my dad really confused, but all I could see on his face was a smiling proud moment he was in, I wanted to be happy, but I put on a face of happiness "it's really great to meet you!" I looked at my dad and walked away. The moment he said ''boyfriend'' kept playing over and over in my head.
I kept walking and made my way outside, to take a breather. The crowd was too much to be in right now, I decided to walk to my car, I decided to get in my car, I was shaking as I started it up, I heard my name being called I looked back and seen my dad running outside trying to look for me, I put it in drive and drove off. I waiting till I was at a stop sign and bawled my eyes out.