Liar

July of 1978

as i knew it was already the first of July that means a new month and that means i was going to learn about my background, and i wasn't talking about my mothers side. i sat down for break fest and my mom was on the phone, every new month on the 1st she would get a strange call from who i didn't know she would never let me know, but the call would last about 30 minutes, i tried my best to listen in case it was about me and summer school which i was trying to avoid so it didn't get into my way of piano with Mrs. Beth. "no she just got up and were about to eat some break fest..." i rubbed the crust out of my eyes and put on the news. "okay so you can get that for us this month.." i guess at this point this was a daily routine for each month my guess was that she was talking to my grandma she put out her cigarette, than whispered "okay talk to you soon, don't worry shes fine" she hung up and smiled at me "hi honey" i said "good morning mom who was that" i looked at the phone "oh it was moms special friend. "why did he ask for me?" she turned away and mumbled "honey it was no one okay" i tried to believe her but i had to ask "mom i need to ask you something important and i need to know because at this point and age in my life i want and need to know?" she got shaky and lighted up another cigarette and raised her eyebrow at me, "my dad...." i cringed and looked down she got up and told me "ooh i knew there would be a day Vanessa.." i looked at her "so you'll tell me ?" she said "no, im going to show you.."

i've never been so excited to see anything in my life i was finally going to hear the story of my dad and why hes gone and the story of how they meet. my mom took me to her closet and brought me closer, to a back shelf or some sort, "i have a lot of papers just in case anyone wants to deny anything or what any sort of proof, like if anything would happen," i was confused. "whats going to happened" she looked at me "if anything happens to your father.." something was different for her to say that. she brought out a box as big as a suitcase she opened it with shaky hands saying "remember when mom told you she lived England?" i nooded "well mom went to college in England to study, and we were both 18 when we meet, your dad and i, i know this is going to be a shock to you but you need to know someday" she pulled out papers looking for the right one than finally said "here it is!" she hide it before saying "this is your father and i in england in college when we were dating" she gave me a b/w picture and i gasped in shock.

 she brought out a box as big as a suitcase she opened it with shaky hands saying "remember when mom told you she lived England?" i nooded "well mom went to college in England to study, and we were both 18 when we meet, your dad and i, i know this...

"that was in 1964" she smiled at the picture "MOM!" she nodded "yes Vanessa your father is Freddie Mercury.."

i've never been so surprised in my life til now, the Freddie Mercury from QUEEN, the rock god who's been #1 in my life since day one. the founding member of Queen, "i'm going to cry, i just cant believe this...." she giggled "you're surprised aren't you??" i looked at her with such shock. "mom, how could you not have told me this before?" she shrugged "honestly Vanessa we are better off without him" i sat down on the carpet "so let me just...process all of this" she sat next to me "i was studying at West Thames College and he was studying there for Arts but this was before he meet Brian and Roger, and John" i interrupted her "you mean before he meet and formed the most legendary rock band to ever live?????!!!!" she was confused "yes!" i thought about it for a min "Vanessa he was such a shy guy he treated me so wonderful, i still remember the first time i spoke to him, we had one class together and he would never say a word only when needed to be, he had wavy short hair and a smile i couldn't resisted" she bite her lip as she thought of him "mom!! why did you guys split up???" she snapped out of it quickly "well my course was up in school and he wanted to pay for my tuition but i couldn't do that to him "where do i come into the picture?" she raised an eyebrow "in this picture" as she pointed to it "i was actually pregnant with you" she kind of got teary "your dad was so happy when we found out i was pregnant i think i was more scared than he was your dad is not a bad person, he would kiss my stomach every night, , he told me 'i'm going to spoil the both of you when i get famous', which was too late i had already moved back to the states" i hugged her as she started tearing up "your dad was such a shy person and he broke out of his shell and became famous after i left, but he never lost his head through it all" i realized my life would be different from now on.