Put Out the Fire

1991

My dads time wasn't slowing down anytime soon, i spent most of my time with him in Garden Lodge, with Jim, Phoebe, and Mary and Terry my dads bodyguard and driver. Most of the time, he didn't go out of the house, he was to the point where he didn't want to stand up from his bed, not that he didn't want to it wasn't a choice at this point.

his passion for life was slowly going away, he wasn't as happy anymore, "what do you want to do today dad?" he always looked so sad and depressed "darling, there isn't much for me to do anymore now is there?" i would stay up at night by his bedsid...

his passion for life was slowly going away, he wasn't as happy anymore, "what do you want to do today dad?" he always looked so sad and depressed "darling, there isn't much for me to do anymore now is there?" i would stay up at night by his bedside crying to him wishing for a miracle, he would just kiss my head, and tell me "this isn't the end of us my darling...ill leave soon, but you know i wont be far, i can feel my place being set in heaven right now you get this feeling, you know" sometime Mary, would see me weeping so bad she would talk me into going to sleep some nights, most of the time Jim would be so mad at the world all he ever could do was to go into the garden and take care of my fathers plants him and Jim shared...

the nights were long, the days were short not enough time the world was speculating the few times my dad would make it out of the house. i tried to do my part as a daughter each time i did interviews they were short and they were sweet. anyone who knew of his condition lied to any and everyone, just for his sake and privacy.

every time i would do interviews they would ask me the same question, my dad has been through enough i didn't want him or his life to be put out there anymore, hes lived a full 20+ years in this business hes always taught me what to do and what to...

every time i would do interviews they would ask me the same question, my dad has been through enough i didn't want him or his life to be put out there anymore, hes lived a full 20+ years in this business hes always taught me what to do and what to say for these types of situations.

the Sun issued in April 1991

the sun: you've grown up so much since first meeting your dad, how has that changed?

Vanessa: honestly, i've always been the one to be in love with meeting my father. i was only 14 dear, and i'm nearly in my mid 20's, so my father has been (laughs) like a father to me, and he did quiet a job i might say...

the sun: you're from America,  so traveling around the world this whole time, when was it that you fully got the effect of England?

Vanessa: England was my fathers native home aside from India of course, so i adapted pretty well, when my father was on tour id be on tour too but also id go to London to watch my uncle's (members of Queen Brian May, Roger Taylor, and John Deacon) children, i grew up with them, they know me as cousins, that's all they know me as other than that London is my second home, from home.

the sun: so the other members are basically like family to you, right?

Vanessa: most definitely, they raised me, they are my family, they aren't like, like  was one of their own children. like i said their children knows me as only cousin, a lot of times o loved babysitting them lots, my uncle Brian has gotten me into the career that i'm in right now i actually have a Ph.D in Astrophysicist  i dedicated 4 years of my life to science to become a doctor in astrophysics a couple years back because my uncle taught me so much. so each of my uncles have took me in, in their own way and open arms to me and my dad and my mother in their homes.

the sun: so i know this is a touchy subject, but what can you tell us about you father right now like how is he? there is much speculation of his health right now please, let his fans in on anything, Vanessa?

Vanessa: now there s a lot of rumors, and my dad is just taking it easy, you know he is tired. and Queen just out out an album m sure a couple months back so please check out Queens "Innuendo" you wont be disappointed. And i feel like it is a touchy subject, when people ask about my father the tabloids have been so cruel lately and its so hard to trust anyone so i'm going to be overprotective just a bit you see. But ill tell you that my father is in great spirits hes a old man relaxing these days.

the sun: lovely, Vanessa what do you want to be doing other than looking up at the galaxy which is quiet a career if you ask me?

Vanessa: so many things, so many opportunity to choose from but honestly i don't even know, i love to play on my grand piano for about 4 hrs a day. so who even knows at this point.