Fun It

July 5th 1978

I couldn't sleep, I put my headphones on at night and would blast nothing but Queen, knowing that my father was Freddie Mercury left me speechless, my favorite album to listen to on repeat was "Night at the Opera" the whole thing was pure genus and I couldn't stop listening to it, I thought to myself 'how did he come up with this line? why was this played like this? what was going through their heads when doing this beat? and what is behind bohemian rhapsody??' I had thought of a plan that night I was going to try and track down the number my dad would call off of, but I had to use an excuse so my mom wouldn't be around the house to notice, I stayed up all night making plans to ask my dad questions, and did that mean that the other band member that i also admired were my uncles, in a way? I just thought of every question, but the most important thing I wanted to ask was why he left me?

there was no turning back, I put on my sick face and went into my mothers room, I coughed so dramatically and went by her bed and coughed so loud I woke her up "mom" *cough cough* she woke up "whats wrong darling??!" I coughed again "I'm getting sick, do you think you can go to the store and get me some tea, and lemon and some medicine??" I coughed even more dramatically to play the part, she got out of bed and hugged me and said "I'll get going right now cause..." she felt my forehead "You're burning up honey!" it's a good thing I put that flash light on my forehead too.
I watched while she got into her car and took off, I ran to her room then to her closet and tried my best not to make loud noises while looking for the box of letters from my dad.  I f0und it! I rubbed through it, and saw alot of love letter, "my darling Rebecca.." read one, alot of goofy photos of them too it was so different to see Freddie Mercury young and with my mother, it was like seeing someone other than Freddie Mercury the rock star of Queen, but it was nice to see my mother happy with someone she loved other than myself.
I loved this kind of side to her, "okay focus,Vanessa" i tried to look for numbers and write them down I was shaking trying not to get caught or anything, I picked up a sheet of paper with "in Switzerland making Jazz 1978" made sense it was 1978 and I think they were recording a new album but no word on what it would be called, I wrote it down. I seen this paper, a letter from my dad to my mother, it read,

Dec 24th 1975
To my darling Rebecca,
Our daughter is at the age of 10, she's becoming everything we've talked about, hopefully she gets into rock and roll like her father, she gets into fashion and science just like her mother. We just wrapped up an album we are all proud of, its called "The Night at the Opera" it tracks 12 different songs and one in priticular that amazes me and I'm very proud of you can say i feel as ever proud of it as if it was my baby, other than ours. The song is called "Bohemian Rhapsody" now it's a different title than most songs, which is the point, hopefully it gets recognized for its different taste of style than others. I had Vanessa in mind while making it, now don't get confused it's not about her, she's more of an inspiration, I'll even let you in on a secret that I don't even know how to explain but I myself don't have a meaning for the song. How is she? What is the difference between how she is the last time I talked to you about her, did you also get those new bedsheets I sent your way, they reminded me of her when I seen them. I have not forgotten about her, never. Every where I go things remind me of her, the sky, the crowd, music, the wind. Just in case you are wondering Mary is fine, we have a flat in London and going to be performing in London tonight at the Hammersmith in Oden, which is exciting and very wicked for our band. My parents asked about her, what is one word you'd describe her at this point, let me know how she is on Christmas with all her gifts I love the both of you dearly and thinking of Vanessa, always!
Lots of Love, Fred

After reading the letter I put everything back to the way it was a cried for about 5 minutes, this was so unreal, I thought of my father being this perfect man who just lost himself trying to find himself. It didn't make any sense my father was Freddie Mercury at this point, could I judge him at this point in my life, I needed answers.
I walked to the kitchen and started dialing on the phone hopefully this number would work since it was Switzerland, "operator please send me to Switzerland's line" i waited while she told me to wait a second my heart was beating so fast I couldn't wait any longer until someone picked up "this is the embassy of America in Switzerland, what is the number you are trying to reach?"
"hi ma'am I'm trying to reach..." i read of the number I wrote down "414 23902" i paused, "okay please hold" my eyes wide like the lady knew already this routine through this line, I heard a click "Queen/Baker productions?" I knew I was in but I was so nervous I almost hung up. "Hello???!" I panicked but blurred out "uhm hi, I'm looking for Freddie....Mercury" he asked "and who's calling?" i paused and heard a clean voice say "is it for me Thomas?" i quickly said "it's Rebecca...." i started to panic this was it, no turning back I heard him pass the phone and a soft spoken British accent said "hello, darling" i gasped and said "......dad..." i didn't know why I blurred that out it was an instict,  I heard him say "Vanessa??" I took a deep breathe but nothing seem to come out, "is this really you, how did you...how are you darling.." i whispered "i finally found you.." at this moment Freddie Mercury didn't come to my mind, all I cared about was this man that I could finally call dad was talking to me. Hecried out "I'm sorry we had to meet over phone darling, but I'll tell you what your old enough, let's meet face to face" i whispered "dad, I want to finally meet you, please" he interrupted and said "thats what you want okay, darling" i heard my moms car pull up and I panicked and hung up, so fast. I turned my record player  on and ran to the couch and my mother didn't suspect anything.