My New Duty #13

(MAPLELEAF'S POV)

"Dewpool..." I meowed quietly. I knew I had to go back to camp but I didn't want to leave the Crystalstone, I wanted to be with Dewpool's spirit forever.

"Dewpool... I need you... the clan needs you" I wept.

I put my head in my paws and cried till sunrise. I knew there was no point in it, but I wanted to stay with Dewpool for a little longer. Then I slowly got up and trudged out of the cave my eyes red from tears. I slowly walked along the grass path as it started turning into snow. Luckily no Iceclan cats saw me... but to me it didn't matter, I felt as if a fog of sadness was covering me and that I was slowly drowning in it. As I reached the Desertclan border I felt excitement try to replace the fog of sadness I felt. I stepped tenderly onto the tree trunk that led from Iceclan to Desertclan and slowly stepped across it and then I pounced onto the other side. Sand flew up from my paws as I landed stumbling from the heaviness I felt in my paws. My heart felt like it was being weighed down by a mountain and the sharp ridges just kept pricking me and reminding me about Dewpool. I entered the camp to find the new warriors running over to me.

"Maplepaw!!" Blackpetal, Rosecloud, Feathersong, & Sandpelt purred together, their faces looking up at me.

"Hey guys! Oh! my names Mapleleaf now!" I purred back at them despite the sadness that was slowly drifting away.

"Mapleleaf!!! Mapleleaf!!!" they chanted, joy spreading across their faces.

I purred happily and smiled at the new warriors who seemed to still be acting like kits.

"How was your vigils by the way?" I questioned.

"Gooooood!!" Rosecloud my younger sister purred, her long silky fur blowing in the windy morning air.

"Naw! It was boring!" Feathersong argued looking at me with frustration. Feathersong was an excitement full she-cat that couldn't sit still!

"I liked it" Blackpetal purred quietly, her brown eyes sparkling.

"It was okay. But I would've rathered go hunting!" Sandpelt purred a hint of amusement in his blue eyes and voice.

"That's so cool!!" I mewed enthusiastically.

The warriors then bounded away a spring in their steps.

I couldn't help smiling at the excited warriors bouncing around the camp.

I walked into the medicine cat den, but now it seemed so empty and sad without Dewpool. I missed his sweet smelling scent and his shiny black pelt.

Dewpool wanted this for me! I hissed to myself, trying to be excited that I was now the medicine cat.

I sat down and organised the berries, poppy seeds, herbs, & bark. I felt lonely though, I felt alone, I wanted my sister's company but she was off with the warriors. I wanted Dewpool but he was... gone. I needed a friend but I was a medicine cat. I felt so lonely and alone so I lay down on Dewpool's soft moss bedding.

It has the sweet scent of my beloved Dewpool! I thought.

So I put my muzzle on the sweet smelling moss and fell into a deep restful sleep, hoping to go back to the time where I was still an apprentice.