8

We all cautiously walked in with our guns raised. "Hello?" Rick called out. "Hello? Hello?"

The sound of a gun cocking cause us all to point our weapons at a man pointing a gun at us. "Anybody infected?" He asked.

"One of our group was. He didn't make it." Rick replied, out of breath.

"Why are you here? What do you want?" The man asked.

"A chance." Rick replied, lowering his gun slightly.

The man walked closer, gun pointed directly at Rick. "That's asking an awful lot these days." The man said, quiet now that he was closer.

Rick nodded. "I know."

"You all submit to a blood test. That's the price of admission." The man said.

Rick nodded. "We can do that."

The man lowered his gun, holding it at his side. "You guys got stuff to bring in, you do it now. Once this door closes, it stays closed."

I walked to the door to go get my stuff, but Daryl stopped me. "Wait here. I'll get your stuff." He said and head out the door.

I sighed and put away my gun and my knife, leaning against the wall. Soon enough, they all came back and Daryl handed my my bag. I "Thanks." We all went into a room and closed the doors behind us.

"Vi, seal the main entrance. Kill the power up here." He said, leaning towards a lit up panel in the wall.

Rick walked up to him. "Rick Grimes." He stuck out a hand.

"Doctor Edwin Jenner." Jenner shook Ricks hand.

We all crammed into the tiny elevator, and I found myself pressed up against Daryl's chest, blushing at the fact that he kept a hand on my hip. The ride was silent for a short time. "Doctors always go around packing heat like that?" Daryl asked.

Jenner looked back at him. "Well there were plenty left lying around. I familiarized myself." He looked around. "But you look harmless enough." He looked at Carl. "Except you. I'll have to keep my eye on you." Carl smiled.

We all walked down the hall, following Jenner. "Are we underground?" Carol asked.

Jenner turned. "Are you claustrophobic?" He asked.

She nodded. "A little."

He smiled. "Try not to think about it."

We all followed Jenner into a dark room. "Vi, bring up the lights in the big room." He called out. Who is he talking to? A circle of lights hanging from the ceiling turned on. The room was empty. "Welcome to Zone 5." He said, walking further in.

"Where is everybody? The other doctors, the staff?" Rick asked.

Jenner stopped in the middle of the room, staring at us all. "I'm it. It's just me here."

I sighed. "What about the person you were speaking with? Vi?" I asked.

Jenner spoke louder. "Vi, say hello to our guests. Tell them...welcome." An automated voice echoed around the room.

"Hello guests, welcome."

"I'm all that's left. I'm sorry." Jenner shook his head.

~*~*~*~

"You need to hold her still." Jenner told Daryl who was struggling to hold down my arms so Jenner could take a blood test. I can't stand needles.

"Charlie, quit fightin'." Daryl said, grabbing my wrists and holding them down. I sighed in defeat and turned my head to the side, closing my eyes. I felt the needle push into my skin slightly.