95

"Hey." I smiled as I jogged to catch up with Tara.

She turned and smiled. "Hey, what's up?"

"Mind if the kids and I tag along? They've never seen something like the Fair and...I need the distraction."

She nodded. "Yeah, no problem, pack some bags. And, hey, Daryl's gonna be fine. He always is." She reassured me.

I nodded. "I hope so."

~*~

Faith was so big now. She was on alert the whole trip, ready to pull her sword at the slightest sign of danger. I had asked Michonne to train her once she was old enough after the whole ordeal with Jocelyn. Couldn't take any risks. Gonna have Rowan trained too, once he's old enough. We came to a stop when we came across a fallen tree blocking the road. I stood in the back of the cart with Tammy Rose, Earl standing in the front. "I should give them a hand." Earl said.

"Like you haven't hurt yourself enough lately."

"Oh, and I suppose you're getting younger?"

"Are you kidding? After being up all night with this little bundle of joy? My back is shot to hell."

Earl smiled. "That little baby deserves something better than a couple of old farts like me a you-especially you."

"Ahh. We-we'll find him a nice family. It just feels so good having a little one to hold."

Earl put his hand over Tammy's, smiling softly. I opted to stay silent, knowing they were thinking of their son they lost six years ago.

~*~

We sat, waiting as they chopped at the tree. "Hey, Tara. Sickos headed this way!" Magna and Yumiko warned, running back. They had gone to watch the perimeter. I stood, pulling Faith and Rowan against me.

"How many?" Tara asked.

"Maybe 10. It's hard to tell. They're coming out of the trees."

"We can handle 'em." Kelly said.

"Yeah, but it could be those psychos in the skin suits. Earl, can you hitch the horses?"

"I'm on it."

"Kal, Oscar, with me. You three, guard the wagons. Stay sharp. Come on."

I jumped off the wagon, pulling my machete. "Where are you going?" Faith asked.

"I have to help. Protect your brother, and that baby. I'll be right back."

I caught up with Tara and the others. "Watch their hands. Keep your eyes open for weapons." Yumiko warned.

I sunk my machete into a walkers head, wincing as the blood splattered on my cheek. "Disgusting." I kicked the walker away, killing one after the other.

We turned when we heard horses, running back to the carts, where there were even more walkers. We killed those, with the help of the strangers on the horses. "Who the hell are you guys?" Tara asked.

"We're the Highwaymen. We're your escorts to the Fair." He killed another walker with the monkey wrench in his hand. "At your service." He tipped his hat.

~*~

We made it safely to the kingdom and started unloading the crates. I noticed Faith and Rowan eying the two kids playing in the grass. "Go ahead." I urged. Faith smiled at me and grabbed Rowan's hand. They ran off and I watched as they introduced themselves and started playing tag.

"They're so big."

I turned around, smiling brightly at Carol, hugging her tight. "You're hair is so long!" I commented as I pulled away.

She smiled, nodding. "I didn't know you were with Hilltop."

I nodded. "Yeah, Daryl started staying there so I went. I also get to bring the kids to the fair that way. Speaking of, you seen him yet? We were supposed to meet them here."

Her smile fell. "No...that's what Tara said, too. They're still out there."