85

Jesus brought back a bunch of Saviors, prisoners. They've been sitting outside the wall, guarded by Jesus and a few others. I recognized a few of them. They were there that night. I just wanted to go out there with a gun and unload on all of them. Maggie had people build a...cage. Barbed wire, metal and trees. It's not much but it'll hold them.

We heard back from Rick and The King. Things didn't go well. Aaron lost Eric, he looked...defeated. They managed to take out the outposts, but a lot of people died. Ezekiel lost nearly everyone who could fight. They did manage to stop the M4's from reaching the Sanctuary. As far as we know, the Saviors are still trapped, so there's that. Maggie left a few hours ago with Jesus and a few other to go to the Sanctuary.

It was the middle of the night when they got back. I didn't wake up until I heard a gunshot. I shot out of bed and rushed downstairs. Maggie walked in, slamming the door behind her. "Maggie, what happened? You're back early. What was that shot?"

She took a few deep breathes, then hugged me. "The Saviors got out. Eugene helped them, that asshole!"

My heart stopped. "B-But we...there were so many walkers...how did he-"

"It doesn't matter, they got out, they killed Neil, so I killed one of theirs."

My mouth fell open. "You...you executed someone?"

She looked at me. "Please tell me you aren't judging me too."

I shook my head. "No, no of course not. I just...I never thought you'd do that kind of thing. It's what they deserve. You did the right thing."

~*~

The Kingdom is down. Ezekiel, Morgan, and Carol brought a bunch of the survivors to Hilltop. I could only pray that Alexandria was still standing, but it was unlikely. Luke went back there. Liz was already there.

When the gates opened, a smile broke across my face, Luke walking next to Daryl, who was carrying Judith. When we ran to greet them, something didn't seem right. Daryl told us Carl didn't make it. He got bit. My throat got tight at that and I couldn't help the tears that flowed down my cheeks. He didn't deserve to die like that. Carl was supposed to beat this world. I still remembered Lori telling him he would. Enid dropped to the ground, sobbing. It broke my heart. We all walked past while Maggie hugged her.

I felt a hand grab mine and looked over. Luke, tears staining his cheeks. "He saved us, mom. He saved everyone."

Liz walked up, holding Faith. "Ma!" She squealed, reaching out to me.

I took her, smiling. "Did you go on an adventure?" She nodded, hugging me tight. I couldn't believe how big she was now, and how happy she could still be in all this madness.

I looked back at Luke. "You know this stupid wooden leg saved my life?"

"Yeah?" I asked. "How's that?"

"I tripped, walker chomped right down on it. Liz killed it, dragged me into that rank sewer." He smiled, but it fell quickly. "It feels wrong to smile."

~*~

I grabbed a bowl of what little food they could offer us. "Thank you."

As I went to sit, I saw the man that came with Daryl, the one I didn't recognize. I went and sat across from him. He looked up and smiled. "Who are you?" I asked.

"I'm Siddiq. Carl...he helped me. Brought me to Alexandria. He got bit helping me." He looked at me, I think expecting me to blame him for Carl's death.

I smiled sadly. "Carl was one of the few good things left in this world. It's kind of a relief he didn't die because of this war."

He smiled as he finished his food. "Sorry, I have to get to the infirmary."

I furrowed my brow. "Are you hurt?"

He chuckled. "No, I was a doctor before this."

I smiled as he walked away. "Carl brought us a doctor."

~*~

Maggie brought a group of people and their van to Hilltop. The woman who seemed to be the leader was named Georgie. She had two women with her. Hilda and Midge. They wanted food and records in exchange for ideas in her head. It sounded strange to me. Three women surviving out there this long only offering knowledge? Maggie gave them a crate of records because we were too short on food to spare any. She gave Maggie a book. Once they left, I walked up to Maggie. "What's that?" I asked.

She smiled. "A Key to a Future."