49

Rick was visibly shaking with anger. I was praying that Faith wouldn't start crying. "Today's the day of reckoning, sir. Restitution. A balancing of the whole damn universe." There was a man at the car window, eying Carl in a way that made me sick.

"Shit, and I was thinking of turning in for the night on New Years Eve." He laughed. "Now, who's gonna count down the ball dropper with me, huh? Ten Mississippi! Nine Mississippi! Eight Mississippi!"

"Joe!" I turned to the source of the voice, gasping. "Hold up."

The man sighed. "You're stopping me on eight, Daryl."

"Just hold up." It took everything in me not to run into his arms.

"This is the guy that killed Lou, so we got nothing to talk about." One of the men said.

"The thing about nowadays is we got nothing but time. Say your piece, Daryl"

Daryl was breathing heavy. "These people, you're gonna let them go. These are good people."

"Now, I think Lou would disagree with you on that. I'll, of course have to speak for him and all 'cause your friend here strangled him in a bathroom."

"You want blood, I get it." Daryl nodded. He dropped his bag and crossbow, opening his arms. "Take it from me, man."

"Daryl, no!" I yelled.

One of the men picked me up and slammed me against the hood of the car. "Shut up, bitch." He had his body pressed flush against mine. I grimaced when I felt something stiff prodding at my leg.

"This man killed our friend. You say he's good people. See, now that right there is a lie. It's a lie!"

The men behind Daryl beat him to the ground. "Daryl!" I yelled, struggling against the man holding me.

"Teach him, fellas. Teach him all the way." The man by the car pulled Carl out.

"You leave him be!" Rick yelled, trying to stand, but Joe pushed him back down.

The man holding me down flipped me over and started unbuckling his belt. I struggled against his grasp for as long as I could. Then Faith started crying. "Get the hell off me!" I yelled, fighting back as hard as I could, but it wasn't enough.

"It was me. It was just me." Rick tried to negotiate.

"See, now that's right. That's not some damn lie. Look, we can settle this. We're reasonable men. First, we're gonna beat Daryl to death. Then we'll have the girls. Then the boy. Then the baby. Then I'm gonna shoot you and then we'll be square."

Joe started laughing. I was crying for Daryl, forced to watch him being beat to death. Carl was shoved to the ground and the man started unbuckling his pants. I started struggling again as I felt the man on me trying to unbuckle my pants. "Stop moving. We're just gonna have a little fun."

I heard a gunshot, noticing Rick seemed to be recovering from Joe's gun going off right beside his ear. I couldn't focus for long though, having to keep up my own fight.

I whimpered when the man grabbed me by my hair and slammed me on my back on the hood of the car. All I could focus on was Faith's crying and the sound of Daryl getting beat. The man pulled my pants down and I cried as he started unbuckling his belt.

Daryl was slammed against the side of the car and I reached for his hand. "Daryl! Oh, god!"

The man on top of me stopped suddenly and turned around. I sat up, my eyes widening when I noticed Rick had torn out a chunk of Joe's throat with his teeth, blood dripping from his chin. Rick spit out the chunk of flesh and I took my chance.

I grabbed the knife from the mans belt and when he turned around, I stabbed him in the chest over and over and over, until Daryl pulled me off, helping me pull my pants back up. "He's dead, he's dead, you're okay."

When I stood, the man that was on Carl had a knife to his throat. "I'll kill him. I'll-I'll kill him!"

"Let the boy go."

Rick pulled Joe's knife from its sheathe and stalked over to them. He was drenched in blood. "He's mine."

I rushed to the car and grabbed Faith. When I got back, Rick had the knife in the man's chest, dragging it all the way up into his throat. He continued stabbing him and I turned away, leaning into Daryl. I guess this is what it takes to survive nowadays.