94

"We gotta hand back the girl." I heard Daryl saying as I caught up to him while he spoke to Enid. "Where's Henry?" He asked Tammy Rose as she fell into step beside us.

"I don't know. Why?"

"He's gonna want to say goodbye."

"Daryl, Tara and Yumiko went to get Lydia." Magna told us as we walked.

"What?" Daryl asked, stopping.

"She decided while you were out there, when she saw Luke and Alden."

We turned our heads when Tara and Yumiko came running from the cellar. "Hey. She's gone."

"Hell you mean she's gone?" Daryl asked, angry.

"The door was open, key was in the lock. Daryl, you know we have to do this."

He bit the inside of his lip. "Alright, split up. Find Henry, we find the girl."

We all split up, checking trailers, the house, the barn, anywhere we thought he might hide with her. When I heard Dog barking, I ran to the sound, along with Enid and Addy. "Shit, they snuck out?" I asked. Daryl was holding open the secret passage some had made during the War.

"Yeah, go tell the others, I can track 'em."

"You don't have to." Addy spoke up. "I know where he probably took her." We turned to look when we heard banging and yelling on the wall.

"Go see what that is."

"I can get Henry and Lydia." Enid walked forward.

"No, it's my problem."

"And Alden's mine. Look, this is how I get him back. Look, I-I've known Henry since he was a kid. He likes me. I can talk to him."

Daryl started at her for a second. "Go. Come on, boy." I followed Daryl, running to the sound.

"What's happening?" I yelled to the people on the wall.

"There's a baby crying out there! The walkers are gonna get it!" Kelly yelled.

"Come on!" Daryl called the others. Kelly, Tammy Rose, and Earl followed us outside the wall and we went into the cornfield, killing walkers left and right, searching for Connie, who had grabbed the baby and hid in the corn. "Got her!" Daryl yelled after killing a walker. We rushed out of the cornfield, back inside the walls.

~*~

It wasn't long before Enid and Addy came back with Lydia and Henry. Daryl kept a hand on Lydias arm as he led her outside the gates, where they met Alpha and two other skins holding Luke and Alden. Daryl let go of Lydia and she walked to her mother. The other skins released Luke and Alden and they walked to us. We continued watching as as Lydia reaches Alpha. Alpha said nothing, slapping Lydia harshly, then spoke in her ear. They left without another word.

~*~

That night, I sat beside Daryl in the barn loft, unsure of what to say. I felt sick over sending her back to them. Back to her. "Daryl." We turned to see Addy.

"What?" He asked.

She held out a piece of paper. "I found this in-in Henry's room."

He took the note and opened it. 'Couldn't live with it. Left to find Lydia' it read. I sighed. "Shit." I put a hand on Daryl's shoulder. "Go. Bring him back. Both of them if you can."

He nodded and pecked me on the lips, packing a bag, grabbing his crossbow and heading down the stairs.