66

When I finally left the infirmary after seeing Luke I was shocked to discover that we were trapped in here. Half of the walkers from the herd being led away had come this way because of the air horn on that damn truck. Now they surrounded our walls. We were trapped. One woman slit her wrists. I was walking down the street after Ricks speech by the wall when I heard pounding footsteps behind me.

By instinct, I turned with my knife raised. The person came to a halt, eyes wide. My own eyes went wide and my jaw dropped, along with the knife in my hand. "Charlotte! Oh, thank god you're alive! I thought I'd never see you again."

Liz brought me in for a tight hug. I felt her tears wet my skin. I grabbed her shoulders, holding her away so I could look at her. "What...how did you get here? Why haven't I seen you since we got here?" I rushed, trying to ignore the big, ugly scar on her cheek.

She wiped her tears away, suddenly serious. She shook her head. " I was with mom. After we got here, interviewed with Deanna, mom wouldn't let me leave the house."

I shook my head. "That makes no sense. You could have just left her, moved into a different house."

She sighed. "I...did things while we were out there. Really bad things. She threatened me. Said that if I left...she would tell Deanna. I knew she would get me kicked out. So I stayed. Yesterday, though...she was...she was killed by one of those people. They...they cut her arms and legs off. I hated the woman, wanted to kill her even, but...she didn't deserve to die like that."

I sighed in relief and brought her in for another hug, choosing to ignore what she said about the bad things she's done. "Thank god you're here. I thought you were dead."

She gasped suddenly, pulling away. "Is Faith alive? Luke? Daryl? What all happened to you guys?"

I breathed out sharply. "Come here."

We were right in front of our house, so I led her up to the porch and we sat down on the rocking chairs. I grabbed her hand. "Bob is dead. Cannibals ate his leg. But he was bit, so he died. Tyrese got bit and they cut off his arm...but...he bled out. Beth was in a hospital in Atlanta. We went to rescue her from these people who thought she owed them for saving her. Carol ended up there too. We traded two of theirs, for two of ours. It was fair. We were leaving. We had this...new guy, Noah. Beth helped him escape, that's how we knew where she was. He was...he was real sweet. You woulda liked him. They wanted him back. Beth tried to fight back and she...she got shot in the head."

I knew the two of them were close. I squeezed her hand when a tear slid down her cheek. She took a deep breath. "Anything else?"

I nodded. "Yesterday...one of those people, they were dead...turned. Luke, he got bit." I watched her face fall, more tears welling in her eyes. "They cut his leg off. He's alive. He's resting. You can visit him."

She stood suddenly, pulling me. "Lets go, then!"

I shook my head. "I...I can't." I started tearing up. "I failed him, Liz. I'm his mom. I'm supposed to keep him safe. Now he...now he's missing a leg."

I wiped my tears away, pulling my hand from hers. "Go see Luke. He's still sleeping, but...maybe he'll wake up if he hears your voice. He's missed you so much. You can see Faith later. She's taking a nap."

~*~

Later that day I went to the platform Maggie had been standing on all day. "Hey," I greeted as I stood beside her, following her eyes. She was looking at the sky. Not the road, not the walkers, the sky.

"He said he would signal us if he was alive. I've been waiting all day."

I put a hand on her shoulder, smiling. "Glenn's alive, Maggie. He's strong."

"I'm sure Daryl's fine too." I looked down. "I know you worry. You try to act all tough in front of the others, but I see it. I'm your best friend."

I smiled. "Yeah, you-"

I turned when I saw something it if the corner of my eye. "Maggie." I gasped, grabbing her shoulder.

There were green balloons floating into the sky. "Let's go."

We rushed down the ladder and ran to where Rick was. "That's Glenn. That's Glenn." She panted. Rick nodded. There finally seemed to be some hope for us.

The moment was interrupted by a loud cracking sound. We all looked up. I gasped as the watchtower started to tilt towards the wall. "Run! Rick yelled.

We ran, and the tower fell, knocking the walls over. I stared in shock as the walkers poured in. "Everyone! Get back! Get into your houses, go!"

I did as he said, noticing Liz running my way. "Where's Faith?!"

"She's safe. Her and Judith are at Jessie's."

I looked around, seeing Rick running with Deanna and a few others. "This way!"

I stabbed walkers as we went, catching up to them outside of Jessie's house. "Come on! I have Judith and Faith!"

We ran upstairs, laying Deanna on a couch in one of the room. "Where's Faith?" I rushed. Everything was fuzzy, moving too fast. Someone rushed by with a crying Judith. I turned when I heard more crying. Liz handed me Faith and I calmed her, pressing her head to my chest.

"How is she?" I heard Rick ask. I turned, seeing Michonne.

"I just finished with her leg. That seems to be the worst of..." Michonne froze when she wiped some blood away from the cut of her side, revealing a bite right next to it.

Deanna looked and I saw her face fall. She took a deep breath, her lips quivering as she laid back on the bed. "Well...shit."