35

We watched from a distance as the Governor gave some bullshit speech to rile people up. He blamed Merle for leading our group here. Then they brought out Daryl, and it took everything in me to not put a bullet through the governor's other eye.

The people were chanting for them to be killed. They quieted down when the governor began to speak again. "Brother against brother. Winner goes free. Fight to the death!"

Merle started talking to the crowd, punching an unsuspecting Daryl in the gut as he spoke. Daryl fell and Merle kicked him. My finger twitched on the trigger and I struggled not to pull it.

Merle continued to hit Daryl over and over and I gasped when they brought walkers out on poles, surrounding the two of them.

Merle went to grab Daryl, but Daryl punched him and stood up, trying to grab Merle. Merle shoved him back to the ground and Daryl wrapped his hands around Merle's throat. Then Merle pulled Daryl to his feet and they stood back to back with their fists raised. I smirked. Of course Merle wouldn't kill him.

Rick gave us the signal. Maggie and I started shooting, hitting a walker, and then the person holding the walker. We kept firing, avoiding the civilians. Rick threw a smoke grenade, filling the air with smoke and disorienting the 'soldiers'.

Rick shined a flashlight to get Daryl's attention. Once him and Merle reached us, we bolted, getting out of there before there was another shootout.

We ran around the buses again, Rick keeping his gun raised. "They're all at the arena. This way." Merle said.

"You're not going anywhere with us." Rick's voice was practically a growl.

"You really want to do this now?" Merle started breaking a panel on the wall, opening it enough for us to get out.

We all slipped out after Merle, who was pounding in the head of a walker. "A little help would be nice!"

We shot at the walkers, but there were too many. "We ain't got time for this!"

~*~

Rick called for Glenn when we got close to the cars. "Rick, oh, thank god."

Rick lifted his hand. "Now we got a problem here. I need you to back up."

Michonne drew her sword and Glenn raised his gun at the sight of Merle. "What the hell is he doing here?!"

Everyone was yelling as we tried to keep Glenn and Michonne back. "He helped us get out of there." Daryl defended his brother.

"Yeah, right after he beat the shit out of you."

"Hey, we both took out licks, man."

"Jackass."

I rolled my eyes. "Merle I'd shut up if I were you."

Merle chuckled when Daryl yelled at Glenn to get his gun out of his face. "Man, looks like you've gone native, brother."

"No more than you hanging out with that psycho back there!"

"Oh, yeah, man. He is a charmer, I got to tell you that. Been putting the wood to your girlfriend Andrea. Big time, baby."

I grimaced at the thought, turning around and placing my forehead  on Maggie's shoulders to hide my tears. She rest a hand on my back, rubbing softly. "Andrea's in Woodbury?" Glenn asked. I picked my head up and Maggie smiled sadly at me. I turned back to the conversation.

"Right next to the Governor." Daryl said.

Michonne lifted her sword. "I told you to drop that!" Rick yelled. "You know Andrea?" She glared at Merle. "Hey, do you know Andrea?"

Merle answered for her. "Yep, she does. Her and blondie spent all winter cuddling up in the forest. Mm-mmm-mmm. Yeah. My Nubian queen here had two pet walkers. No arms, cut off their jaws, kept them in chains. Kind of ironic now that I think of it."

"Shut up, bro."

Merle chuckled again. "Hey, man, we snagged them out of the woods. Andrea was close to dying."

Maggie shook her head. "There's no way she's with him." Maggie said.

"She know what kind of man she's dating?" I added.

Daryl looked at me. "Charlie-"

"Not now, Daryl."

"There's no way she's with him." Maggie had a look of disgust on her face.

Merle nodded. "Yeah. Snug as two little bugs. So what you gonna do now, Sheriff, huh? Surrounded by a bunch of liars, thugs, and cowards."

"Shut up!"

Merle chuckled at Rick's obvious anger as he tried to figure out what to do. "Oh, man, look at this. Pathetic. All these guns and no bullets in them."

"Merle, shut up!" Daryl yelled.

Merle became agitated, moving from his place against the tree. "Shut up yourself! Bunch of pussies you roll-" Merle was cut off by Rick, who hit him in the head with his gun, knocking him out.

After a few moments of silence, Daryl spoke. "Asshole."