36

We stood in the road now, discussing whether or not Merle can stay. Rick shook his head. "It won't work."

"It's gotta."

"It'll stir things up."

Daryl was determined to get his brother a place in the prison. I'm scared to see what will happen if Rick doesn't change his mind. "Look, the Governor is probably on the way to the prison right now. Merle knows how he thinks and we could use the muscle."

Maggie shook her head. "I'm not having him at the prison."

Glenn was pretty much sick of this debate, ready to just dump Merle. "You really want him sleeping in the same cell block as Carol or Beth?"

"He ain't a rapist."

"Well, his buddy is." Both Maggie and I gave Glenn a look.

"They ain't buddies no more. Not after last night."

Rick stayed adamant on his decision. "There's no way Merle's gonna live there without putting everyone at each other's throats."

Daryl scoffed. "So you're gonna cut Merle loose and bring the last samurai home with us?"

"She's not coming back." Rick responded quickly.

"She's not in a state to be on her own." Maggie stated.

"She did bring you guys to us."

"And then ditched us."

I shook my head. "I think she just needs time warming up to us is all. She's more than proven herself in my book. Same with Merle. If we bring him home with us, our people will just have to get used to it. If he causes trouble, Daryl and I know how to deal with him."

"At least let my dad stitch her up."

"She's too unpredictable."

"That's right, we don't know who she is. But Merle, Merle's blood."

"No, Merle is your blood. My blood, my family is standing right here and waiting for us back at the prison."

"And you're part of that family. But he's not. He's not."

I could see a look in Daryl's eyes that I didn't like as he looked over at Merle, who was holding his head in pain. "Man, y'all don't know." Daryl seemed to be getting more and more antsy when nobody said anything. "Fine. We'll fend for ourselves."

I felt my heart sink in my chest and I leaned against Maggie for support. "That's not what I was saying." Glenn said.

"No him, no me."

"Daryl, please." I begged, my heart aching. "You can't do this. Rick, please, please let Merle stay." Rick shook his head.

"It was always Merle and I before this."

"Don't." Maggie said, trying to keep me from falling.

"You serious? You're just gonna leave like that?"

"You'd do the same thing."

"Well, what do you want us to tell Carol?"

"And Luke." I added.

"She'll understand, and Luke will too, give him time."

Daryl nodded, moving between Glenn and Maggie. "Say goodbye to your pop for me."

My knees grew weaker and Rick caught me, taking me from Maggie and passing me to Glenn. He rushed up the talk to Daryl in hushed words. "You'll be okay, Lottie. It's okay."

I shook my head, tears threatening to spill. "No, it won't. I'm pregnant, and if I lose this baby because of the Governor, I won't...I won't survive it. Not without him."

"Come on." We followed the two men, who stopped at the back of the car and opened the trunk.

Daryl finished a conversation with Rick then walked over to me, kissing me. "Please, don't go." I sobbed.

"Come with me."

My heart couldn't handle the pain. "I can't, please, stay."

Daryl sighed sadly. "Why?" He asked. I didn't answer. I didn't want him staying out of obligation. I wanted him to stay because he wanted to. He kissed my forehead. "Bye, Charlotte."

He turned away, walking over to a smiling Merle, who happily wrapped his arm around his shoulders as they walked away.

I felt my body finally give and a sob ripped from my throat as I fell to my hands and knees. I felt like throwing up, but my stomach was empty, so I was dry heaving. I was fine on my own before I fell in love with him. Now look what he's turned me into. I felt a hand on my back and looked up. Rick held a hand out for me.

I took it slowly and he pulled me to my feet, pulling me in for a hug as tears cascaded down my face, soaking his shirt. "I'm sorry, I know, I'm sorry. We have to go, Lottie. Come on, get in the car."

I sat between Glenn and Maggie on the ride home, tears spilling down my cheeks. My heart ached. It was like nothing I'd ever felt before. I don't think I've ever cried this much. We stopped on our way back and I watched as they got out because of a truck in the way. Glenn killed a walker that was in the truck, smashing it's head with his foot.

Rick talked to him, Maggie rummaged through the truck, finishing quickly. They started yelling. "Do you know what he did the them?! Do you know?!"

Maggie urged them to help push the truck, eager to end the fight. They moved the truck, then we were back on the move.

Half way home, Maggie wiped away my tears, forcing me to drink some water. "You'll get dehydrated, honey. Crying won't do any good."

"Rick," My voice was barely above a whisper. He looked at my through the rear view mirror. "I need to talk to you when we get back." He nodded, not saying a word.

~*~

Rick got out when we pulled in, likely to explain to Carol that Daryl left. Maggie got in the drivers seat, driving the car up the road to park it.

Maggie led me into the cell block and into my cell. My cell. It was just mine now. I was alone. I laid in the bed, ignoring the sound of yelling from outside the block. I sat up suddenly, angry. Angry at Daryl for leaving me. For making me fall in love with him. For leaving me. I looked at the dresser we found and put in our cell. I walked up to it, yanking his drawer open. I pulled his clothes out, screaming as I threw them out. I fell to my knees, sobbing into my hands. I looked up, wiping my tears when I heard someone stop in front of my door.

Rick came into view. He bent down to pick up a shirt that was outside the cell. He looked a little flustered. "What did you want to talk to me about?" He asked.

I stood and pulled one last shirt from the drawer. I rubbed the fabric between my fingers and put it against my nose, inhaling Daryl's scent. Rick stood inside my cell, pulling the curtain closed for privacy. I flinched as I pulled my bloody shirt over my head, revealing my severely bruised ribs and dark purple hand shaped bruises on my hips, arms and throat. Rick didn't flinch but his eyes wandered. He was looking at the scars, the fresh, deep cuts, and dark bruises the Governor left on me. I could still feel his hands, all over me, wrapped around my throat.

I put on the cutoff plaid shirt, leaving it unbuttoned. I placed a hand on my belly right between my hipbones. "I'm pregnant. I know this is the worst time for this to happen...especially after...Lori. We didn't mean to, really. I found out just before we were...kidnapped." I started buttoning up the flannel. I sat on the bed and Rick sat beside me, not speaking.

"You shouldn't worry about it though. I don't know if it'll live."

"Why's that?" Rick asked.

"The Governor...he uh...tortured me. He...raped me. I don't know if it'll survive this, given the last time. I'm not sure if I could survive if I miscarry again, so you're gonna have to help me if I do now that Daryl is gone."

Rick rest a hand on my back. "We'll all be here if the baby lives or if it doesn't. We're your family, Lottie. We'll take care of you."