37

The next morning, when I woke up, it took me a minute to remember that I was alone. Then I forced myself out of bed, put on one of Daryl's shirts that were still scattered on the floor and strapped on my guns and knives. I looked in the mirror, gently running my fingers over the hand shaped bruise on my throat. It was a lot worse today, a lot more noticeable. Dark blue and purple, extremely sensitive. I left the cell and went to the room outside the cell block. Glenn and Carl were crouched on the ground. Glenn was drawing what appeared to be a layout of the prison with a piece of chalk.

They were discussing the possible breach in a part of the tombs, trying to determine where it was compared to where Tyrese's group was found. Maggie approached me as I walked in, resting a hand on my shoulder. "You okay?" She asked. Her eyes flicked down to the bruises on my neck.

I nodded. "Not sure what defines okay these days but I guess I have no choice. I have a son and maybe a baby to raise all on my own."

Maggie sighed. "Just because the Governor...did what he did, it doesn't mean the baby will die. Have faith." She smiled at me, wrapping an arm around my shoulders.

We were brought back in to the conversation abruptly when Glenn started raising his voice. "We'll sneak back in and put a bullet in his head."

"We're not assassins."

Glenn walked up to Michonne, talking quietly with her. Eventually she nodded. "Okay."

"He didn't know you were coming last time and look what happened." Hershel spoke up. "You were almost killed. Daryl was captured. And you, Maggie and Charlotte were almost executed."

"You can't stop me." Glenn had a fire in his eyes. A fire that wouldn't be extinguished easily. Hershel seemed up to the challenge.

"Rick would never allow this."

"You really think he's in any position to make that choice?"

"Think this through clearly. T-Dog lost his life here. Lori, too. The men that were here. It isn't worth any more killing. What are we waiting for? If he's really on his way, we should be out of here by now."

"And go where?"

"We lived on the road all winter."

"Back when you had two legs and we didn't have a baby crying for walkers every four hours."

"We can't stay here."

"We can't run."

"Come on." Maggie led me back into our cell block, taking me to my cell. "Wait here."

She disappeared for a minute, returning with a bucket of water and a washcloth. "Take off your shirt." She said, closing the curtain.

"We shouldn't waste the water." My voice was barely a whisper.

Maggie crossed her arms. "You can still feel his hands. All over you, like he's still touching you."

I nodded. "Take off your shirt, let me wash you down. Trust me, it made me feel better."

I sighed, unbuttoning the shirt and letting it pool around me on the bed. "Jesus..." Maggie sighed as she sat beside me, gently cleaning my skin with the damp cloth. I whimpered and grabbed her shoulder when she gently dragged the cloth over my bruised ribs. "Sorry." She couldn't wash away the bruises painting my already damaged flesh, but she could wash away the feeling of them.

I shivered at the coolness of the cloth. "Thank you, Maggie." I breathed.

"Anything you need, honey, I'll be here for you." She smiled softly and continued to wipe me down. Occasionally she would soak the cloth in the water and ring it out. She was right, this did help. It felt as if his touch was being scrubbed away. I knew it wouldn't help much, but it still felt nice.

She finished quickly, my body feeling somewhat cleaner. "Thank you." I smiled as I buttoned up the shirt.

She smiled back, leaving, probably going to her own cell. I sat down on my bed, hanging my head. I stayed in my cell for what felt like hours, but was probably only minutes.

It wasn't until I heard gunshots that I actually moved. I responded quickly, grabbing one of my guns and running outside. I found cover behind the bleachers, where Carl, Beth and Luke were. We fired at a man in one of the watchtowers. I took a second to take in my surroundings. I saw Carol shielding herself with...Axels body while he was pelted with bullets. We moved for better cover, getting a better shot at the man.

Suddenly the gunfire stopped. Everything was silent. Maggie came running out of the cell block, giving two guns to Beth and then going to Carol, giving her cover fire so she could run. She came over to us, taking a gun from Beth.

The gunfire stopped again suddenly. We could hear the distant roaring of an engine. Soon enough, what appeared to be a delivery van plowed through the front gates, stopping in the middle of the courtyard. It sat there, no one came out, the engine didn't shut off. It just...sat there. And then it happened. The ramp on the back fell and walkers poured out into the courtyard.

The shooting resumed, the man in the watchtower was keeping us pinned down until finally, Maggie took the kill shot. We all stood. There were men still outside the prison. I recognized one as the Governor, feeling a shiver run up my spine. He fired off more rounds, then got in his truck, driving away.

We rushed to the gate of the courtyard and opened it, firing in all directions in hopes of taking the courtyard back and saving Hershel. Michonne ran through the field and Glenn drove to where Hershel was, picking up both him and Michonne.

We kept the walkers off the truck, quickly shutting the gate once it was in. We ensured they were okay, then stood in front of the gate, staring at all the land we just lost. I sighed, ruffling Luke's hair. "You did good." I groaned quietly when I felt pain flair between my legs. "I'm gonna go lay down. I don't feel very good." He smiled at my praise.

I went back to my cell, laying in the bed facing the wall. I laid there for probably ten minutes, just staring at a blank wall. I had no clue what to do with myself. The pain between my legs persisted. Then I heard it. "Charlie." I almost didn't believe it was him. "Charlie, I'm sorry. I'm here."

I got up quickly, staring at Daryl, my chest heaving. I started hitting him, pounding my fists on his chest, yelling at him. I was furious. He took the hits and the cruel words, wrapping me in his arms when my yelling turned into crying and my legs gave out.

"It's okay, it's okay. I'm here. I'm not leaving you again. I promise." Daryl held me, petting my hair.

I cried into his chest, wrapping my fists around his shirt. "No...no, it's not okay. I'm pregnant, but he raped me Daryl...he raped me. It's not okay. I'm not okay."