90

Daryl and Maggie came to me last night and told me the plan is in motion. Maggie's going to Alexandria tomorrow morning. I could go if I wanted to he said, but I didn't have to. I wanted to go. I wanted to go the minute he told me. Maggie and left in the morning, just as planned. We kissed our kids goodbye and took off for Alexandria.

The closer we got, the more nervous I got. I wanted Negan dead, no doubt about that, but what if someone changed their mind and Rick's message got through to Alexandria? What if we can't get past the gates? We came across a bridge, where there was a walker. Maggie got off her horse and killed it with her crowbar, bashing its head in even after it was dead. She cleaned the crowbar, got back on her horse and we were off.

~*~

When we got to Alexandria, they let us right in, no problem. We went to Negans cell, where Michonne was waiting. Someone had tipped her off. "Maggie?" Michonne spoke.

"Get out of my way."

"You're willing to turn this into something else? For him? Not for him, for me. For others. For Glenn. Negan should have died under that tree."

"But he didn't die, Maggie. It's done."

"Because Rick decides it was?"

Maggie took a few steps closer to Michonne. "Step...back."

"You were there, Michonne. You saw what Negan did."

"You think Glenn would want this? For you to go through me to get to him?"

Maggie shook her head. "I dunno what he'd want. I dunno, because I never got to say goodbye."

"He wouldn't want it, Maggie. Your father wouldn't want this. You know this."

"The only thing I had, the one thing I had was knowing I was gonna see Glenn's murdered die, and you took it from me."

"So taking it back, what the hell is that gonna do?"

"It's gonna start things over."

"No. It's gonna start something else."

"If he'd butchered Rick in front of you instead of Glenn-"

"Mm...Maggie."

"If you had a child to raise alone because of him, he would've been dead a long time ago, and you know it! So, stop acting like this is a choice. Stop acting like I can just turn it off. Because it has been a year and a half, and I can't."

Michonne sighed and shook her head, wiping away a tear. "You're gonna have to find a way."

"Tell me how. If there is something else that I can do, Michonne. Because I can't keep livin' like this."

A tear slid down Michonnes face. "I...I can't. I can't."

"Cause' there's nothing you can say. There's only what you do."

"And you can live with what comes after?"

"Have to. Can't live with it now." Maggie held out her hand and Michonne slowly handed them over, stepping aside.

It was only about five minutes later that Maggie came outside, the crowbar in her hand still clean. Both Michonne and I were confused. I stepped away for a moment when the walkie on my hip made a noise. It was just static at first. "Come again?" I said when I thought I heard a voice.

"Camp!" More static. "Help!" That was it. The line went dead.

"Maggie, Michonne! Somethings wrong at the camp!"

~*~

We heard it before we saw it. The furious snarling of a herd. We sprinted through the woods, Daryl ahead of the rest of us. He stopped suddenly, aiming his crossbow at the bridge and letting a bolt fly. I sighed when I saw Rick. Bloody and pale, but alive. "What is he doing?!" Someone yelled.

"He's hurt!" Michonne responded. It seems he tried to stop the walkers by taking out the bridge, but it was holding.

"That herd that went right through Hilltop. He's trying to bring down the bridge."

"No." Michonne took off running.

"We turn them around. Fight 'em back." Maggie ordered.

"Fire your guns. Try to divert them."

We took off running again, going for the other side of the river, desperately trying to get them away from Rick. I've never ran so fast in my life. My throat was tight, my heart pounding. Rick can't die, he just can't. He saved my life in the beginning, saved so many of us more times than I can count. He just...He can't die.

We were at the other side, we were so close, right there. We could see the walkers. I pulled out my knife and a gun, ready for a fight. "Rick!" Michonne yelled.

An explosion. I froze. My breath got caught in my throat, my heart stopped, my knees felt weak. The tears in my eyes spilled over and didn't stop. He blew up the bridge. Black smoke billowed into the blue sky. There was no way he survived that. I fell to my knees, dropping my weapons. My ears were ringing, but I could hear Michonne crying out for him, the man she loved had just died. Maggie and Carol held her back. I felt like I failed him. He saved all of us on more than one occasion, and the one time he really needed us...we failed. I failed. Rick Grimes is dead.