39

We went inside shortly after to talk. Everyone made their way into the room. The first thing she noticed was Hershel. "Hershel, my god." Then she looked around the room. "I can't believe this. Where's Shane?" No one spoke. "And Lori?" Rick dropped his head.

"She had a girl." Hershel said. "Lori didn't survive."

"Neither did T-dog."

"I'm so sorry....Carl" His face was blank as he stared at her. "Rick, I..." She started walking his way. He took a step back, avoiding her eyes. "You all live here?"

"Here and the cell block." Glenn said.

"There?" She pointed. Glenn nodded.

"Well, can I go in?" She asked walking towards it.

"I won't allow that." Rick stated, blocking her way.

"I'm not an enemy, Rick."

"We had that field and courtyard until your boyfriend tore down the fence with a truck and shot us up."

"He said you fired first."

I scoffed. "Well, your man says a lot of things that aren't true."

"He killed an inmate who survived in here." Hershel told her.

"We liked him. He was one of us." Daryl added.

Andrea shook her head. "I didn't know anything about that. As soon as I found out I came. I didn't even know you were in Woodbury until after the shootout."

I shifted on my feet, rubbing the bruises on my arms as I did, trying to ignore the pain between my legs. "That was days ago. You don't know what he did. What your precious little boyfriend did to us."

"I told you I came as soon as I could." She turned to Michonne. "What have you told them?"

"Nothing."

"I don't get it. I left Atlanta with you people and now I'm the odd man out?" Andrea shook her head.

"He almost killed Michonne, and he would have killed us."

"With his finger on the trigger!" Andrea pointed at Merle. "Isn't he the one who kidnapped you? Who beat you?" Yeah, well the Governor raped, that makes what Merle did look like child's play.

Andrea sighed. "Look, I cannot excuse or explain what Phillip has done. But I am here trying to bring us together." Phillip, ugh

I shook my head. "Not in a million years would I ever be in the same room with that man again."

"We have to work this out."

"There's nothing to work out." Rick finally spoke. "We're gonna kill him. I don't know how or when, but we will." He stated as a matter of fact.

"We can settle this." Andrea persisted. "There is room at Woodbury for all of you."

Merle chuckled. "You know better than that."

"What makes you think this man wants to negotiate?" Hershel asked. "Did he say that?"

"No."

"Then why did you come here?"

"Because he's gearing up for war. The people are terrified. They see you as killers. They're training to attack."

"I tell you what." Daryl spoke up. "Next time you see Phillip, you tell him I'm gonna take his other eye."

"We've taken too much shit for too long. He wants a war? He's got one." Glenn stated, his expression hard.

Andrea turned back to Rick. "Rick, if you don't sit down and try to work this out, I don't know what's gonna happen. He has a whole town. Look at you. You've lost so much already. You can't stand alone anymore."

"You wanna make this right, get us inside." Rick said.

"No."

"Then we got nothing to talk about."

"There are innocent people!" Rick ignored her, walking into the cell block.

Once we dispersed, I went to Maggie and Glenn's cell. Maggie was there by herself. She looked up at me. "What's up?" She asked.

I looked down. "I...I can't ask this of your father, so I'm asking you." I looked up at her. She nodded for me to continue. "I've been...hurting since...  I need someone to...to look and make sure there's nothing really wrong."

Maggie smiled sadly and nodded. "Come on." She walked me up to my cell and closed the curtain. "Lay down, Lottie. Take your pants off." She spoke kindly.

I did as she said and she squatted at the end of the bed. "Can I?" She asked. I nodded and opened my legs, turning my head away. I flinched as I felt her hand. I took a shaky breath. When I felt her grab my hand with her other one, I felt less tense. "Almost done." She said softly. It was just a minute more and then she handed me my pants and underwear. She sat beside me on the bed. "There is...visible damage, but it should heal with a bit of time. Keep it clean as you can. "We have antibiotics and pain killers from the infirmary." I started crying. She pulled me into her arms, holding me as I sobbed. "You'll be okay. I promise."

~*~

When Andrea left, we gave her a car, her bag and her gun back. "Can you spare it?" She asked.

"Yeah." Rick nodded, seeming a little less on edge.

Andrea looked around at all of us. "Well, take care." She got in the car. Rick told her to be careful and she was on her way. Merle opened the gate for her, quickly closing it behind her.

~*~

That night, we sat silently around the cell block. It was a little too quiet for my liking, and apparently Beth felt the same. She started singing.

They hung a sign up in our town
If you live it up, you won't live it down
So she left Monte Rio, son
Just like a bullet leaves a gun
With charcoal eyes and Monroe hips
She went and took the California trip
Well, the moon was gold and her hair like wind
Said don't look back now
Just come on, Jim
You got to hold on
Hold on
You got to hold on
Take my hand I'm standing right here
You got to hold on
Well, he gave hers dime-store watch
And a ring made from a spoon
Everyone's looking for someone to blame
If you share my bed, you share my name

I was distracted from the song when Daryl spoke. "Some reunion, huh?" My head was on his shoulder. His arm was snug around me. I fiddled with his fingers. I looked over to see Rick standing there with Judith.

"She's in a jam."

"We all are. Andrea's persuasive. This fella's armed to the teeth. Bent on destruction."

"So, what do you wanna do?" Daryl asked.

"We match it. I'm going on a run."

"I'll head out tomorrow."

"No, you stay here. Keep an eye on your brother." Daryl glanced over at Merle. "I'm glad you're back, really, but if he causes a problem, it's on you."

"I got him." Daryl nodded.

"I'll take Michonne."

"You sure that's a good idea?"

"I'll find out. And Carl. He's ready. You hold it down here."

"You got it."

When there's nothing left to keep you here
When you're falling behind in this big blue world
You got to hold on
Hold on
Got to hold on
Take my hand, I'm standing right here
Got to hold on...