29

We followed the prisoners back into the cafeteria. "You never tried to break out of here?" T asked.

Oscar nodded. "Yeah, we tried to take the doors off. But if you make one peep in here, then those freaks'll be lined up outside the door growling, trying to get in. Windows got bars on there that He-Man couldn't get through."

"Bigger than a five by eight."

Big Tiny shrugged. "You won't find me complaining. Doing 15. My left leg can barely fit on one of those bunks."

"Yeah, they don't call him Big Tiny for nothing."

"You done jerking each other off?" Tomas asked from the doorway. "Sick of waiting back here."

We walked into the pantry, shocked at how much food there was. "Only a little left my ass." I scoffed.

"Goes fast." Tomas said. "You can have a bag of corn, some tuna fish-"

"We said half. That's the deal." Rick looked at the freezer door. "What's in there?" He asked.

"Don't open that." Oscar warned.

Rick opened it anyways, coughing and gagging, closing it as quickly as he could. Tomas chuckled. "He wanted to know." I grimaced.

"Can't wait for my own pot to piss in."

~*~

After bringing the food back, Rick stopped me from going with them. "What's wrong?" I asked.

Rick shook his head. "I don't like the way Tomas keeps looking at you, Lottie. I want you to stay here, so Daryl and I know you're safe. It could get messy and Tomas could...try something."

I sighed, nodding. "Okay, go ahead. I'll help with Hershel."

~*~

We all stood in the cell, staring at a seemingly lifeless Hershel. The cell block door creaked open and closed and Carl and Luke walked in with a bag. "I thought you were organizing the food." Glenn said.

Carl smiled. "Even better." He walked into the cell, dropping the bag on the ground. Carol gasped. It was filled with gauze, alcohol and other medical supplies critical to saving Hershel's life.

"Where did you get this?"

"From the infirmary. Wasn't much left, but we cleared it out. Luke came with me."

"You two went by yourselves?" Lori asked.

The boys looked proud. "Yeah."

"Are you crazy?" Lori asked, shocked. I didn't say anything. It's not like they got bit. Sure, it was stupid, but they lived. Does it make me a bad mother because I'm not worried?

"No big deal. We killed two walkers."

Lori's hands were shaking and her eyes were wide. "You-all right, do you see this? This was with the whole group."

"We needed supplies so we got them!"

"I appreciate that, but-"

"Then get off my back!"

"Carl!" Beth yelled, ending the argument. "She's your mother. You can't talk to her like that."

Carl looked back at his mother and as she began talking again, he ran off.

Luke turned to me, pulling me from the cell. I crouched to his level. "What is it, love?" I asked, brushing some hair out of his eyes.

Luke shrugged. "You're not mad at me?"

I smiled, shaking my head. "No, I'm not. You shouldn't have gone off alone, but you two probably just saved his life." Like smiled and hugged me, then he ran off to the cell he and Carl shared.

When I walked back into the cell, Hershel's leg was wrapped in bandages. It was just Maggie with him. I stood in the doorway, watching the scene before me. I was her once, watching my own father dying and not being able to do anything to help. It's the worst feeling in the world.

She stood suddenly, staring at Hershel's now still chest. He stopped breathing. "What's happening?" Beth asked, getting everyone's attention. "Somebody help!"

I rushed over, putting my ear to his chest. "Lori!" I yelled.

She rushed in, crouching beside me. "All right, you do chest compressions, I'll breathe into his mouth. Ready?"

I nodded. She breathed into his mouth, then I started chest compressions. She went to breathe into his mouth again and he grabbed the back of her head. We pulled her away from him as quick as we could.

He gasped for air, eyes wide. Then his body relaxed, and he was unconscious again, his breathing steady.

~*~

The cell block door opened and Rick, Daryl and T entered. "Hershel stopped breathing." Carl said. "Mom and Lottie saved him."

Glenn nodded. "It's true."

I walked over to Daryl, wrapping my arm around his waist. "How'd it go?" I asked, pecking his lips.

He sighed. "Tiny got bit, Tomas bashed his skull in. Then he pulled some shit that almost got Rick killed so Rick killed him first. Andrew ran off and he chased him into the area filled with walkers. Axel and Oscar are the only ones left."

I sighed. "Sorry things didn't go as planned."

Daryl shrugged. "Tomas was only gonna cause trouble for us."

Daryl and I walked over to Hershel's cell, everyone having surrounded him. Rick was taking the cuffs off of Hershel as Beth and Maggie shed tears of joy. Hershel reached out for Rick's hand and Rick took it, getting down on one knee. Likely a silent thank you for saving his life. Rick had felt awful about cutting off his leg. Rick gave Beth Hershel's hand, following Lori, who had just left.

Daryl pulled me out, taking me to the cell I had picked. "I thought you didn't want to sleep in a cage."

Daryl shrugged. "I couldn't sleep last night without you there."

I smiled, sitting on the bed with him. "Then let's go to bed."