62

The next day, we had the time to look around. I was having a hard time convincing Daryl to do so. I was sat on the porch beside him, Faith patiently waiting in her new stroller. "They said explore." Rick said from the doorway. "Explore."

Daryl rest his elbows on his knees. "Nah, I'll stay."

Rick nodded. "All right." He looked out around at the neighborhood. "Lori and me, we used to drive through neighborhoods like this. Thinking one day..."

"Well, here we are."

Rick looked around some more before heading down the steps. "We'll be back."

I looked Daryl up and down. "You still smell."

"Hey, come here a minute." I walked over, standing in front of him. "I, uh, found this. In the house."

He placed a small silver necklace in my hand and I smiled. An arrow. "You're not touchy feely all the time, but when you are, my heart stops."

He gave me a half smile and peck on the lips. "Go on, now."

~*~

It was another day before Daryl decided to go explore. He insisted Faith and I stay with him. He didn't admit it, but I knew he still didn't feel like we were safe. We were walking near the gate when we saw Glenn, Tara, and Noah coming in with a few of the residents here. "...just as screwed as your last run crew." Glenn was having a stare down with who I heard was one of Deanna's sons.

He walked closer to Glenn. "Say that again."

"Back off Aiden." Tara said. I locked the wheels of Faiths stroller, ready to fight if I needed to.

He shoved Glenn, and Noah stepped in. "Come on, man. Just take a step back."

He shoved Glenn again. "Come on, tough guy."

"No one's impressed, man." Glenn clearly didn't want to fight. "Walk away."

"Aiden!" Deanna yelled as she ran up. "What is going on?"

Aiden answered her without breaking eye contact with Glenn. "This guys got a problem with the way we do things." He finally turned to look at her. "Why'd you let these people in?" I clenched my fists, resisting the urge to break his jaw.

"Because we actually know what we're doing out there." Glenn nodded. Aiden suddenly swung his fist at Glenn, but he dodged it, punching him in the face. Aiden fell.

Nicholas dropped his stuff, about to attack Glenn. Daryl body slammed him and threw him to the ground, holding him there. "I said that's enough!" Deanna yelled.

Rick ran through the gates, grabbing Daryl, who I hadn't noticed was choking Nicholas. "Let's not do this now."

Rick managed to pull Daryl off of him and held his hand out. Daryl was pacing, his chest heaving. "Lottie!"

I nodded, running to Daryl and standing in front of him, setting a hand on his chest. "Daryl, babe, calm down." He was still pacing, both Rick and I following. "You need to relax. It's okay, no need to fight anyone."

"I want everyone to hear me, okay?" Deanna spoke. "Rick and his people are part of this community now in all ways, as equals. Understood?!"