21

"Holy shit." Glenn mumbled as we stared at Tony's body, blood slowly pooling around him.

"You all right?"

"Yeah."

"Hershel?" He didn't respond.

Rick looked to me. I nodded. "Let's head back." Hershel said.

As we headed for the door, a car pulled up outside, lights shining briefly through the windows. "Car. Car. Get down." We all crouched below the windows. The car stopped and the doors opened and closed.

"Dave? Tony? They said over here?"

"Yeah."

"I'm telling you man, I heard shots."

"I saw roamers two streets over. Might be more around here."

"It's hot. We gotta get outta here."

"Dave! Tony!"

"Shut up, you idiot! You wanna attract 'em? Just stick close. We're gonna find 'em."

I put a hand over my mouth to quiet my breathing as the silhouette of a man approached the door. "Dude, he said to stay close." He walked away and they kept calling  for Dave and Tony.

Rick and Glenn peaked through the curtains, making sure they were gone. "Why won't they leave?" Glenn whispered.

"Would you?"

I shook my head. "We can't sit here. Sooner or later they're gonna come in."

Rick nodded. "Let's head out the back and make a run to the car." We all nodded in agreement. As we started moving, a gun fired from outside and we went back to the wall.

There were footsteps right outside. "What happened?"

"Roamers, I nailed 'em."

"They disappeared, but their car's still there."

"I cleared those buildings. You guys got this one?"

They started walking closer. "No."

"Me neither."

"We're looking for Dave and Tony and no one checks the damn bar?"

They were on the porch now. They approached the door. Just as it opened, Glenn jumped over and sat in front of it, forcing it closed. "What?"

"Someone pushed it shut. There's someone in there."

"Yo, is someone in there? Yo if someone's in there, we don't want no trouble. We're just looking for our friends."

"What do we do?"

"Bum rush the door?"

"No, we don't know how many are there. Just relax."

"We don't want any trouble. We're just looking for our friends. If something happened, tell us." Yeah, your asshole friends are dead, staining the floor with their blood. "This place is crawling with corpses. If you can help us not get killed, I'd appreciate it."

I looked at Rick. He was sweating bullets, trying to think of a way out of this. "You're bugging. I'm telling you nobody's in there."

"Someone guard the door. If they're in there, they might know where Dave and Tony are."

They walked away. "They drew on us!" I glared at Rick.

They came back. "Dave and Tony in there? They alive?"

Rick hesitated. "No."

"They killed Dave and Tony. Come on, man, let's go."

"No, I'm not leaving. I'm not telling Jane. I'm not gonna go back and tell them that Dave and Tony got shot by some assholes in a bar."