52

Walking. We've been walking for God only knows how long. We only stop once the sun gets low. It was hotter than hell today. Daryl's been spending as much time with Faith as he can. I never thought of him as a family man. Luke has clung to my side since we left Terminus, along with Elizabeth.

We were walking through the woods, raising our weapons when a branch snapped. Daryl pushed through the bushes, a rope with at least a dozen squirrels tied to it dangling over his shoulder. Daryl raised his hands. "We surrender."

We kept walking, Rick and Daryl talking quietly. Rick whistled, urging us to catch up. I held Faith tight to my chest, catching up with Daryl. "Hey, baby."

Daryl smirked, gently patting my ass. My eyes widened. "Daryl, behave." I whispered. "We're not alone."

He shrugged. "I don't care, we haven't been able to-"

"Help! Help, anybody! Help!"

"Dad, come on." Carl yelled. The man continued yelling. "Come on!"

Rick nodded and we started running towards the sound. It was a man on top of a boulder, walkers surrounding him. We killed the walkers, looking up at the man, who was shaking with fear. Was he wearing a priests collar? "Come on down." Rick said.

He slid off the boulder and stood there without saying anything. He looked sick. "You okay?" Rick asked. The man held a finger up, then bent over, throwing up on the ground.

I grimaced, turning away. "Gross." I'd rather be in Atlanta covered in walker guts again than watch someone vomit.

"Sorry." He apologized once he was done, standing up properly. "Yes. Thank you. I'm Gabriel."

"Do you have any weapons on you?"

Gabriel chuckled. "Do I look like I would have any weapons?" He said, shrugging his shoulders.

"We don't give two short and curlies what it looks like."

"I have no weapons of any kind. The word of God is the only protection I need." I rolled my eyes.

"Sure didn't look like it."

Gabriel smiled strangely. "I called for help. Help came." He looked around at all of our faces, his smile falling. "Do you have-have any food? Whatever I-I had left, it just hit the ground."

"We've got some pecans." Carl held out a handful of pecans to him.

Gabriel smiled. "Thank you." He looked around staring at Faith for a moment, then Judith. "You have beautiful children."

None of us responded. Gabriel seemed uncomfortable, looking down at the pecans in his hands. "Do you have a camp?"

"No, do you?" Rick asked without missing a beat.

Gabriel nodded. "I have a church."

"Hold your hands above your head." Gabriel raised his hands and his eyes went wide as Rick started patting him down. "How many walkers have you killed?"

Gabriel shook his head. "Not any, actually."

"Turn around. How many people have you killed?"

He looked shocked at the question. "None."

Rick finished patting Gabriel down he turned around, facing Rick. "Why?"

"Because the Lord abhors violence."

Rick narrowed his eyes at the man. "What have you done?" Gabriel looked uncomfortable, but didn't respond. "We've all done something."

"I'm a sinner. I sin almost every day. But those sins, I confess them to God, not strangers."

"You said you had a church?"

~*~

"Hey, earlier, were you watching us?" Rick asked as Gabriel led us to the church.

"I keep to myself. Nowadays, people are just as dangerous as the dead don't you think?"

"No, people are worse." Daryl said, his eyes flicking to me for a second.

"Well, I wasn't watching you. I haven't been beyond the stream near my church more than a few times since it all started. That's the furthest I've gone before today." Gabriel was quiet for a moment. "Or maybe I'm lying. Maybe I'm lying about everything and there's no church ahead at all. Maybe I'm leading you into a trap so I can steal all your squirrels." He chuckled and turned to face us.

His smile faltered upon noticing that none of us were smiling. "Members of my flock had often told me that my sense of humor leaves much to be desired."

"Yeah, it does."

Rick nodded for Gabriel to continue and he turned around, running into a branch. We made it to a small church and walked up to the doors. "Hold up." Rick spoke as Gabriel went to unlock the doors. "Can we take a look around first? We just wanna hold onto our squirrels."

I handed Faith to Elizabeth. "Keep an eye on Luke, make sure he doesn't wander."

She nodded and I pulled my gun out, walking through the doors with Rick, Glenn, Michonne, Daryl, and Carol. We moved slowly around the church, making sure there weren't any people laying in wait. Can't be too careful nowadays. Once we were sure it was safe, we went back outside to let the others know they could come in. I went to take Faith back from Elizabeth but when I saw her, she looked so happy, so I decided not to.

"I spent months here without stepping out the front door. If you found someone inside, well, it would have been surprising."

I smiled as Daryl wrapped an arm around my waist, his lips brushing against my ear. "Would it be wrong to screw you in a church?"

I smacked his chest and he threw his arms up in defense. "Yes it would be very wrong, although I wouldn't object." I winked and pecked him on the lips.

Rick and Abraham had a little argument about leaving, then we went inside and settled down. "How'd you survive here for so long? Where did your supplies come from?" Rick asked Gabriel.

"Luck." He smiled. "Our annual canned food drive. Things fell apart right after we finished it. It was just me. The food lasted a long time. Then I started scavenging. I've cleaned out every place nearby. Except for one."

"What kept you from it?" Rick asked.

"It's overrun."

"How many?"

"A dozen or so. Maybe more."

Rick nodded. "We can handle a dozen."

"Bob and I will go with you." Sasha spoke up. "Tyrese should stay here, help keep Judith and Faith safe."

"That okay?" Rick asked.

Tyrese smiled. "Sure. You ever need me to watch them, need anything for them, I'm right here." Tyrese answered, speaking to both myself and Rick.

"I'm grateful for it." Rick nodded and walked over to him. "And everything else."

"I'll draw you a map." Gabriel spoke.

"No need. You're coming with us."

"I'm not gonna be of any help. You saw me. I'm no good around those things."

"You're coming with us."