Chapter Ten: Parents Day (Violet)

I was nervous as I went to meet up with Ember. She smiled at me and hugged me. My hands wouldn't stop shaking. Today was the day we ask about my real father. Ember had come to apologize to me that night after she had run off, so we were cool now.

   "What ever she says we're still sisters," she said and I nodded. I hadn't told her that I knew pretty much what mom was going to say, but that I was going to ask mom about it anyway, to get her reasons and her side of the story.

   We entered the dining hall, found a seat and waited. I felt bad for Symphony because her dad wasn't coming. She told us he said he was too busy this weekend with his girlfriend. Symphony told us he was always with a woman. I still wasn't sure if he had hurt her or not. Maybe he had, maybe he hadn't, only she'd know it.

   Mom came in and looked around for us, we stood and made our way to her. Dad came up behind her and my heart raced. Keeping to her word Head Mistress came over and asked Dad if he could spare a few minutes. We told him we'd wait outside and pulled mom with us.

   "Mom we need to talk," I said. The look on her face was a curious, but nervous one. She clearly was afraid of what we might bring up. Had she espected this conversation to happen soon?

   "What about sweet heart?" I held up my wrist and I saw recognition in her eyes. She reached out and touched it. Tears spilled from her eyes and she hugged us both. "I'm so sorry. I made a mistake years ago and I - I didn't know you were his at first. When you were born I knew, but your Dad didn't know what I did he never knew you weren't his. He loves you honey.

   I had dated your father in high school and college.  We never saw each other after college. Until your dad pissed me off and I went to a bar. He had been there and we had talked for hours. I was drunk and he offered to take me home. I had agreed. And well he pulled over so I wouldn't puke in his car.

   I woke up in his car and he gave me some asprine and coffee. I apologized to him. Well basically we ended up kissing. It had been a good mistake."

   "Did you know he was a Collier?" Ember asked. 'That was a good question, did she?' I thought.

   "I knew he was a warlock when I first met him, but not until college did I find out he was a Collier. He said his sister had five kids, but only three inherited the Collier powers."

   Just then Symphony came out of the dining hall and paused. Mom stared at her. Symphony turned red.

   "Sorry. Did I interrupt something?" she asked softly and bowed her head in embarrassment. She's always so shy.

   "No child, you just look familiar. Are you by any chance related to John?" Mom asked nicely and picked up on Symphony's shyness. Symphony's head snapped up curiously. Will she finally give up her secrets?

   "Wish I wasn't, but yeah," she mumbled. "Why?" She looked at me and I smiled sheepishly at her. "You're his daughter then?" Symphony nodded curious even more now.

   "Why? Did you know him or something?" she asked cautiously. Mom sighed and opened her mouth to speak.

   Tate came out, cutting off whatever mom was about to say. He winced as we all looked at him. He clearly hadn't ment to disturb anything.

   Mom continued and said, "You could say that. We both went here and dated for a while." That made Symphony wince.

   "No surprise there. I should go," Symphony said and turned away from us. Tate in one fluid motion grabbed her and pulled her to him, hugging her. He knew her better than anyone ever could. Mates, definitely not a joke.

   That's when drama hit. Logan totally flipped out. Ember and mom both stopped him from shifting by using their gifts to calm him. He backed down and stormed off. I sighed and put my hand on my half sister. She was crying again. Tate wanted to comfort her, but was afraid to upset her more. He stepped away and fisted his hands. Symphony stopped him as he turned away. Surprise filled his eyes.

   "I'm tired of pretending this isn't real, Tate. I can't do this anymore," she mumbled sadly. She then kissed him and he looked down at her adoringly. It's about time she accepted him, time she accepted how she feels towards him. She's letting Logan go and accepting her fate. Tate hugged her to him once again. I smiled and looked at Mom.

   Some guy sighed and said Symphony's name. She froze and spun around, staring at him. He looked at Mom and his eyes widened. Mom smiled sadly at him. He must be John, my father and Symphony's. To make it worse my Dad came out and glanced at all of us. John offered his hand to my dad realizing he was with my mom.

   "I'm John Cordwell or Collier," he said.

   "Ryan Daniels," Dad offered and took John's hand. Dad was human so he was clueless about the significance of the Collier's name.

   He offered me his hand next and I took it nervously. My bracelet touched his ring and it gave off a purple spark and we both swore pulling our hands away. John met my mom's gaze with surprise. She never told him I realized. Symphony must have just understood what was going on. She glared at her dad, then ran off.

   "Symphony!" he called after her, but she just ran faster. Shifting, Tate went after his mate. I still don't know what he did to make her hate him that much. He must not be a good father, so for that I'm glad I have mine and not him.

   "You should leave, John," I said.  He looked at me surprised and my sister agreed. Lennox and Luke came out with their parents and Lennox smiled at my sister. She blushed. I giggled as Lennox introduced her to his parents.

   Suddenly Luke's eyes rolled back and I instantly knew a spirit was presently in him. Crap, right in front of my, human, father. Not good.

   "Do not get an exorcist, I only wish to talk and I will leave the boy." Her voice sounds a lot like Symphony's. So that's what happened to her mother then? I looked at John."John, I have waited so long to give you a piece of my mind, but I'll make this quick and simple. You ever so much as look at our daughter and I will make sure your life is a living hell. Don't ever go near her ever again. That goes for Violet too." And like that she was gone.

   "I suggest you leave ass hole," Luke growled and stood straighter."She showed me everything and I don't appreciate what I saw." I didn't know what Lennox was, but he backed up his brother and I knew they could kill John if they wanted to.

   "What the hell have you done, John?" Mom asked. "Tell me you didn't hurt her." Tears welled up in her eyes and I glared at John. This is my sister and my mother now. It's becoming personal. No, it is personal.

   "Get. The. Hell. Out. Of. Here. Before. I do something. I'll regret," I muttered between clenched teeth. His eyes met mine and he ran off. "Luke, how bad was it?" I asked and met his gaze.

   "He killed his wife and .... It's bad Violet. Really bad." He began to cry. Lennox, their parents, Ember and I all stared at him. His mom was the first to respond and hugged him."I care about her so much, Mom. How could she hide something that bad?" He asked.

   Now we all knew Symphony was much more secretive and had problems much deeper than the ones we could see. And she's my sister. After kissing both my parents on the cheek I went to find Symphony. Luke came with me.

   We found them both. Symphony was crying hard against Tate and he met my eyes with his. I kneeled next to them and rested my hand on her back and knew no amount of calming emotions can help this, so I just rubbed her back letting her know I was here for her if she needed me. "I'm sorry, Symphony. Your mom showed me everything," Luke said.

   Tate kissed her head and rubbed the back of her neck gently. She eventually stopped crying and fell asleep. Sighing, Tate said he'd take her back to her room. We all wanted to go, but knew it would be best for her if she just rested and got some alone time with her mate, the only person who understands her as much as he understands himself, maybe even more. I saw Luke's pain as Tate picked up Symphony and took off. Luke really does care about her.

   'How bad was what he saw?' I wondered.