Chapter Four - Part One

* * *

CHAPTER FOUR

* * *

The Blue Moon was a bar right in the center of Harbor Village, and just a street over from the Maison. It was a creaky, but still comfortable, wooden structure in the semblance of a giant log cabin, with smoke that spewed thickly from a high stack on the roof. And although the bar closed its doors to no one, everyone knew that it was Pack territory. In fact, one of the Leaderships own members, Lucas Blacklock, ran the place.

Inside, it was crowded and warm, and country-rock beat a tune through the dark, slightly smoky air of the room. There were the strong smells of tobacco, cooked meat and strong liquor about the place, and I loved it. And after a successful evening of espionage with Addy, I could think of no place more fitting to celebrate.

I walked along familiarly behind Adelle, as she waded a quick path for us towards two empty seats at the bar. And after taking a seat on the nearest stool, I was immediately approached by the bartender. He was tall, muscular, extremely tan, and dressed in the bar's standard uniform of jeans, with a black t-shirt and a plain black apron. In his early to mid-thirties he had long, dark hair spilled down about his shoulders, and though his brown eyes were soulful, his mouth was hard set on a frown. But intimidating as Lucas could appear, that certainly didn't render him unhandsome.

"Newport," said the barkeep to Adelle, in his usual, deep, rolling voice, which served in reminding you every bit of his masculinity. And Lucas was strong as well - one of the strongest Pack members I had come across thus far. So strong in fact, that at times I could feel the animal side of myself relenting in submission when he came around. But the human side was always sure to smile confidently, unwilling to display weakness. But for all my pretenses, I knew that in a different Pack, there was no doubt that Lucas would've served as an Alpha.

"Didn't I cut you off last week?"

He frowned down at my friend, suspicious of her and the newcomer.

"Yes, but you love me." Adelle replied comfortably. "And besides, I deserve tequila. I did good today."

"Right." Lucas replied gruffly, before turning his attention to me. "Noble. Pick your poison."

"Your best dark ale." I said, with a grin.

"Coming up."

And Lucas took the time to scowl at Addy once more before disappearing through a doorway behind the bar. He always went to the freezers to find me the coldest beer. And according to Addy, he never bothered to do that for anyone else.

"Sometimes, the way Lucas is so chill, I forget that he's even a Leader." said Addy, in a low, confidential tone. "But ever since Charles created the Leadership he's been serving."

"So that means he's got money too, right?" I said

"Oh honey, the man is loaded. And the Blue Moon's been passed down from generation to generation in his family since, like, the early eighteen hundreds or something. Yeah, supposedly it' the oldest building in the town. And back in the day, Lucas' family used this place to rack some serious dough as a speakeasy during the Prohibition."

I raised my eyebrows in surprise and approval, but before I had a chance to comment, Lucas returned with my ale. I accepted it and took a sip, giving him an appreciative smile in thanks.

"Newport, I'll give you one shot, but no more liquor after that. You want somethin' else, I'll get you a beer - I'm sick of payin' for damages."

Lucas reached below the bar to produce a shot glass and a half-empty bottle of Jager. And Adelle took the shot, disappointed, but still wiped her lips with a grateful sigh after the burn.