Chapter Four - Part Four

Something told me the smile that spread across Tidus' face was a rare one, and not something to be taken lightly. And as I looked into his eyes, suddenly the fear was lessened. When we had kissed, clearly it had damaged his resolution, and now I could see the results of it in his face. He wouldn't kill me now. Tomorrow, perhaps, but not tonight.

"I'll take you to her, and you can plead your case." he said, looking amused. "Besides, I think I'd feel less guilty letting her be the one to decide your fate. Meet me behind the Blue Moon, tomorrow night at nine. And come alone, Naomi - you don't want anyone you care about involved in this."

He strode to the door, tucking the knife out of sight, but my curiosity proved stronger than I had anticipated.

"Stop!" I commanded, forcing him to pause in the doorway. "I need to know - why did you do it?" I said, unable to look him in the eye from my sudden self-consciousness. "You didn't have to kiss me."

"You're beautiful." he said, simply, looking back at me with a dull sadness that surprised me.

And then he was gone, leaving me to feel more fragile and confused than I had ever been in my life.

* * *

I managed to stumble my way from the bedroom, and hurry down the staircase back to the party below. And I grabbed Adelle roughly when I saw her, tugging her away from Collin.

"Naomi! Hey! What the hell -"

The cold night air hit us hard as we traded the party for the porch. My skin felt hot and flushed, and guiltily I recalled Tidus and his cold, roving hands.

"We need to go. Right now." I said, trying to lead her away from the porch. My hand was still clasped around her arm, but she yanked it from my grasp and stood firm.

"Not until you tell me what's going on." she said, remaining inflexibly calm. "What's wrong? Naomi, did something happen to you?"

I looked around us, scanning the shadows of the yard and the street. But I could see or hear nothing out of the ordinary. All was still, besides the activity from the party, so I decided that maybe it really was safe to speak. But before I could continue, the front door of the house swung open again with a bang, as Ethan stepped outside. I took one look at the angry, confused expression on his face, and knew that he was hurt. The guilt began to gnaw at me horribly then. He let the door slam closed behind him, as he glared at me, waiting for an explanation.

"Tidus Romaine was in one of the rooms upstairs." I said quietly. "And he told me that a witch... a witch had a vision of me killing him."

"Why in the hell, would you kill Tidus Romaine?" Ethan replied, thunderstruck.

"I'm not really going to kill him, Ethan." I snapped. "And I'm fine by the way, thank you for asking."

"Oh my god! Babe, are you sure you ok?" Adelle said in alarm, grabbing my hand. "Did he hurt you?"

Before I could stop myself, a hand flew upwards to meet my lips. But Ethan observed this with a suspicion that was almost knowing, and quickly I dropped my hand again.