Chapter Eight - Part Four

"S'okay. I can make my own." I replied lightly, skirting him a wide berth as I left the bar and headed to the kitchen.

"So. Are you upset with me about last night? Or are you upset about the girl?" he asked, and I knew that he had followed me. But my back remained turned to him as I selected a box of Wheaties from the cabinet, and then focused my attentions on the milk in the fridge.

"Neither," I said lightly.

"That's good." was his even reply, as he continued to lean in the kitchen doorway. "And just so you know, I didn't sleep with her. She was just a meal – that's it."

"Good for you." I said, while trying to locate the silverware.

Casually using his Vampire's speed to zip to a drawer I hadn't yet checked, he came back to me with a shiny silver spoon.

"Here," he said, holding it out to me. Gingerly, I accepted. "I just wanna push you away, Naomi, not hurt you. I want you to know that."

I considered the sincerity in his voice, and of course I believed him. But for some reason that didn't fix the pain in my chest.

"After we do the truth spell, and I prove that I'm not lying, we can go our separate ways." I said. "You won't need to push me. I can walk away, by myself, just fine."

"Sure," he said. "If you think it'll be that easy."

"Then I guess we'll just have to wait and see." I replied, grabbing my bowl and walking around him.

*  *  *