Chapter Eleven - Part Two

“And what about Ethan’s mother?” I asked, realizing how little I still knew about my Champion.

“Died when we were young. She was a victim of that magical plague. But Mathew’s remarried since –”

“Ethan never told me that.” I said pensively.

“Well, I knew.” she said, drawing herself together importantly.

I rolled my eyes.

“You were saying?”

“Back in the day – before the Elder created the Leadership, Ethan used to dream about becoming the Alpha of the Garou. But that was actually my idea. That particular aspiration of his started out a little seed that I planted in his fat head when we were in the eighth grade. But back then, all he cared about was being cool and measuring his dick. Meanwhile, I was planning for our future – college, our wedding… kids.”

I could see it coming a long way off – the collapse of her dignity. From the minute she had arrived, there was the steady, gradual loss of her composure as she fought to hold herself together. But as hard as she had tried to contest it, Eve was still coming undone at the seams. Losing Ethan had hit her profoundly. You could see it in every tear that refused to roll down her face. Her eyes were full of tears that simply couldn’t fall any longer.

“I feel it. In my chest.” She said this through gritted teeth, and with an honesty that almost succeeded in gaining my sympathies. Her words were raw, packed full of emotion that no one could have ignored. “Ever since he left, it’s like I can’t breathe anymore. I’m alone now, with nothing to show for the past twenty-four years of my life. And this is his fault!”

“So you want him to feel what you feel.” I said, already having put two and two together. “You want to hit him where he hurt you the most, right?”

“Yes,” she said fiercely, nodding. “Being the puffed-up dictator that he is, Charles hardly seems to notice what his Leadership monkeys – no offense – get up to. He’s too conceited to think any of you would ever betray him. But I know about some of the naughty deeds that get done in the dark around here. And right about now, I’m guessing Elder Noble is too busy kissing up to the Hunters to think of much else. So now is the time to strike while the iron’s hot.”

“Go on.” I said, not bothering to hide my curiosity.

“With pleasure.” Eve said, and with a deliciousness that suggested she was no longer in a moment of mourning. “Mathew’s in charge of keeping track of whatever money it is that the Leadership generates. And Charles uses these funds as a piggy bank to keep his operations afloat –”

“Where does Charles get this money that comes in?”

“Nobody knows, nobody asks. Charles claims it’s from wealthy Pack investors, but no one would ever dare ask the Elder for proof. And maybe that’s why Mathew Raines gets away with skimming profits. I’ll bet the two of them are even in on it together.”