Chapter Six - Part Five

He drove me home after that, and we didn't speak for the entire ride. After all, everything important had already been said. And just from looking at Ti's silent, angry face, I knew that we weren't going to progress without some type of drastic change. One of us was simply gonna to have to give, and surrender with the white flag.

When we reached my house, Tidus pulled his car up to the curb, allowing the engine to quietly idle in the dark, silent street.

"Well, thanks? I guess?" And I reached out to grab the handle, but the sound of Tidus' voice stopped me short."

"Naomi, I don't expect you to understand my motives, but you should know that this hasn't been easy for me either. Being in this situation with you... it's not only forced me to question my character, but it also makes me wonder if I'm not close to losing my humanity again – and that can't happen."

And of course, I knew why he would say this: Vampires were world famous for their transgressions. After all, their curse was a portal to every pleasure and every sin that a Human could ever possibly desire – with punishments and repercussions that could easily be ignored with simply the flip of a mental switch. So if Tidus had ever been a vampire that had truly lost his way, then I figured he must have been bad – very bad.

"It's ok, I get it – you don't want insta-love, and I completely agree. But that doesn't mean that we have to become enemies instead. We can prevent what Claudia says will happen..."

"And how do you suggest we do that, Naomi?" Tidus replied evenly.

 "I don't know, baby steps? We don't have to be friends, but you can let me help you and Claudia. Take me with you to get the amulet – I promise, Tidus, I won't be the reason you lose your humanity."

Tidus took a deep breath, paused, and then glanced at me for final consideration.

"It's been a long night. Get some rest, Naomi." Tidus replied nonchalantly, looking straight ahead. "We'll be in touch."

"Yeah, right. Have fun in New York, Tidus."

And feeling disappointed, I climbed out of the car, and watched Tidus disappear into the night from which he came.

*  *  *