Chapter Nine - Part Four

force you to do anything he wants as long he can claim that it’s all in the name of Pack preservation. And that includes forcing you to take the fall for his mistakes – mistakes that can get you killed and conveniently tossed from the running in one day taking over his job.”

“I’ll admit, I despise my grandfather just as much as you, and one day I will take this Leadership from him.” I said, in a low, dangerous voice. “But I really didn’t plan on that happening for another three years. For now, all I can do is make his job harder – not take it from him. Besides, I’m not eligible to become the Elder until I turn twenty-one, but that’s in less than three years –”

“Eldress. Actually, Naomi, you would become the Eldress. And I’m sorry, but I can’t wait three years.” Tidus said. “You’ve got to find a way to pull him out of the Leadership quicker. And it doesn’t really matter who takes the seat for now, as long as it isn’t Devila – she’s his right hand. And Jonathan Newport is a decent man, but he’s too neutral to be wholly swayed to your side or your grandfather’s. And Mathew Raines is only in in the Leadership for the job title – he’s too self-absorbed to give the Eldership serious thought. Which leaves us with Lucas, the surly, brooding bartender. He’s your man.”

“You’re asking a lot.” I said, feeling angry and used. “Are you expecting me to do this alone?”

“You won’t have to.” he assured. “I may not be on the Council anymore, but I still have my influence. I will help you, I promise.”

Suddenly, purified water with lemon just wasn’t cutting it. I hailed a waiter and ordered gin, stirred, not bothering to hide my nervousness. It was a dangerous game I had suddenly found myself in, as more players had been added to the match. And I was floundering, lost in a sea of thoughts and decisions that I could drown in.

And I wondered how much longer I would have the strength to just keep swimming, before I gave in and got sucked beneath the waves.

*  *  *