Chapter Twenty-One - Part Three

“That’s Amelia Earhart in the center of that groupie mess over, and that should keep everyone distracted from the lack of alcohol for the rest of the night. Johl likes to brag that she performed the most successful disappearing act that a Vampire has ever pulled.”

“Amelia Earhart? A vampire?” I asked, with a snort. “Come on, Claudia.”

But Claudia said nothing, simply looking at me above the rim of her wine glass, as she as she took another healthy sip.

“Wow,” I said, suddenly impressed with Johl after all. “You’re serious.”

“Well, when he’s not insulting his family, or vandalizing rosebushes in the neighborhood, he’s got to find some way to stay relevant. Oops, did I just say that part about the rosebushes out loud?”

I grinned, immediately recalling Mrs. Planchon’s claim that someone was cutting down her precious plants. And amazed at my good luck, I tucked this information away for possible use in the future.

“You don’t like Johl that much, do you?”

“Is it that obvious?” Claudia replied. “Ever since the Romaines got involved in my family’s life, Johl’s had it out for my sister. But personally, I think that he’s just jealous he isn’t a Maker. He doesn’t like her, and he likes me even less, so he just uses Angel to satisfy his frustrations.”

“Then why are you here?” I asked curiously.

“I don’t know. An excuse to see my sister?” Claudia replied. “Boredom maybe? Ever since Angel and I were banished from our clan, I seem to find myself using any excuse to get out of the house lately…”

Claudia trailed off, and judging from her expression, she and I both seemed to notice how personal the conversation was getting. Hastily, I cleared my throat and we each looked away.

“Well,” I said. “The only reason I’m here is because I thought I was gonna get the chance to talk business with the Vampire Council. But that’s not gonna happen. And I have a feeling the only reason Johl asked me to come is just so he could string me along.”

“I’d watch out for him if I were you. He’s got a thing for pretty, unsuspecting girls. All the Romaines do…”

“So I’m beginning to notice… You know what, I think I’m gonna go get some fresh air. I’ll see you? Later tonight?”

Claudia nodded, and I walked from the room, skirting the crowd. I caught only a glimpse of short, curly, brown hair that supposedly belonged to Amelia. But I hadn’t the patience or the interest to investigate that phenomena more. So recalling the route back to the front entrance of the castle, I made my way from the happenings of the party, thinking only of an escape from the turmoil of the night’s events. Well that, including my disappointment at not getting the chance to meet with the rest of the Council.

And if I hadn’t been so wrapped up in my own thoughts, then surely I would have heard his footsteps or smelled his cologne before we met. But his voice is what dragged my attention from my thoughts.