Chapter Seven - Part One

*  *  *

CHAPTER SEVEN

*  *  *

While lives were short, time remained long in Harbor, and it continued to flow on. Weeks passed, but I heard nothing from Tidus. And no amount of pacing at night, or obsessively checking my phone during the day, could change that. But in the meantime, I had plenty of activities to keep me busy – such as learning more about my Leadership duties, or having Lucas teach me more about Samael Noble, and the history of the Garou.

I began to make more friends in Harbor, and even if a few frenemies still didn't think I belonged (such as the Elder, or Leader Devila), there were two people who always stood irresolutely in my corner. Addy – who I loved deeply for her tactlessness, and loyalty, and Ethan – who I still refused to forgive, no matter how closely the Champion's bond kept us shackled.

Everywhere, and always, did I feel Ethan Raines. He was like my mute and deaf ghost, my invisible companion. He was there in the back of my mind, even when I knew that we were miles apart. And however silent the two of us remained towards each other, our raw emotions were still exchanged between us on a regular. And the closer we were, the stronger the connection would become. But as more time passed, I successfully regained control of my mind, and eventually learned how to silence Ethan's half of our link. And after a while, it was almost as if I were back to normal again.

But despite my newfound ability, I still did my best to stonewall Ethan at every given opportunity. And though he was miserable for it, and suffered greatly, I was a bitch and refused to allow myself to care. I wasn't ready to give him a pardon just yet – I was still grieving for the part of me he had inexcusably stolen. And unfortunately, feeling his despair only added more fuel to that fire.

So in order to smother all of my guilt at hurting my own Champion, I spent more time with Addy, and ignored Ethan even more. I told Adelle everything about what had happened the night I met Claudia, and made her swear to give no mention of the details to Ethan. She balked at first, because she thought Tidus was dangerous and that the note somehow proved so, but all the same, she still remained closemouthed. And although I had my own suspicions that the stranger's note spoke indirectly of the Vampire Council, thoughts of them and the warning, began to slip to the back of my mind. And eventually, even the image of Tidus' face came less often, until one day it disappeared entirely.

*  *  *

One morning, I was awakened by the extremely weak light of the sun, which spilled from windows that had just had their curtains ripped mercilessly open. With a groan, I flung a hand over my face, praying for the darkness to swallow me again, so that I could hide.  

"Really, Adelle?" I grumbled, from beneath the luxury of my comforter. "What the hell time is it?"

"Noon – you slept the entire morning away, babe. "But it's time to get up and get dressed now. You've got shit to do today."

My response to her command, was a groan.

"So, in between all that partying and drinking we did last night, did you get any word from tall, pale and handsome?"

 "You mean since the last time you asked me, eight hours ago? No." I said, sitting up grumpily, as Addy yanked the covers from the bed.

"Hey, be annoyed all you want, but I'm gonna continue to be a good friend. Besides, when Tidus finally snaps, and sheets of plastic wind up in your future, at least me and Ethan will have a clear conscience."

I flopped back into the pillow again, rubbing my face as Addy stared down at me expectantly.

"Why are you even talking to him?" I said. "You guys are supposed to despise each other, remember? That hate is cosmic, Addy – it keeps the universe from imploding. And I need that."