Chapter Eight - Part One

*  *  *

CHAPTER EIGHT

*  *  *

Later that evening, I didn’t listen to Adelle’s reprimands as I packed. And I also showed no interest in the many texts and phone calls that Ethan bombarded upon my phone. His pleas went unanswered, just as her admonishments went unnoticed. Because while I pretended to listen, all I really thought of was getting on a plane to New York, of starry skies beyond a backdrop of skyscrapers, and possibly visiting Grauman’s Chinese Theatre to look at all of the absurdly famous pairs of feet.

“Will you at least admit that you have a thing for him? Because we all know that’s the real reason you’re going.”

Adelle was busy unpacking items as I re-packed them. We walked back and forth and around each other in circles. And at the moment, she was currently coming from the suitcase as I was going back to it. I rolled my eyes as I passed by her, clutched a pair of Vans that she had just removed.

“You’d really like that, wouldn’t you?” I said stubbornly, stuffing the shoes back where they belonged.

“You don’t have to say it because I already know it’s the truth.” Adelle shot back, and I slid the suitcase away from her, as this time she attempted to remove a shirt.

“Addy, you don’t have to worry so much. He’s made it pretty clear he’s not interested in anything serious.”

“Yeah, but you are.” my friend replied, in a firm, but not unkind tone. “And that’s bad – really bad.”

“Why? It’s not like it’s against the Rules of the Red.”

“You’re right.” Addy replied, taking a seat on the bed. “It’s not against the Rules to fall for a Vampire. But creating half-breeds with them? That is against the Rules. And you’re a Leader now – so how do you think it would look to the Garou if you go around breaking the same laws that you’re supposed to be enforcing?”

“Vampires can’t reproduce.” I replied, remaining obstinate.

“That’s very true, yes, but try thinking outside the box. Naomi, haven’t you ever wondered what would happen if a Werewolf was turned by a Vampire, or if a Vampire bit another Werewolf?”

“No…” I said guiltily, looking down. “Not exactly.”

“Oh, well, that’s too bad.” was Addy’s snide reply. “Because it’s some fucked up shit, but at the same time kinda interesting too. Let’s say – just for shits and giggles – one day Tidus decides to get a little rough during some foreplay in the bedroom. Who knows, maybe he’s got a serious thing for BDSM. Anyway, he forgets his strength, he kills you, and then out of guilt, he turns you. Then what?”

Wordlessly, I shrugged.

“You wake up, and you start to mutate; I hear that part is more painful than endless childbirth. And the transformation might start out the same for every victim, but no two bodies are ever alike. And no one has ever survived the change, Naomi. That’s why it’s against the Rules of the Red for Werewolves and Vampires to mix.”