Chapter Twenty-Two - Part Two

I locked eyes with Tidus, who was still standing close by his seat. His face was impassive, but by now I knew him well enough to gauge when he was hiding his true feelings.

“I’m ready,” he said in a strong, unwavering voice.

“There’s the ring,” I said, nodding at it.

I watched with interest as Claudia used the corner of her afghan to pick up the ring, wondering if she was in love with someone as well, or simply executing a responsible measure of safety. But, in any case, the ring was now in her possession, and she knew exactly what needed to be done with it.

“First things first – you have to pick it up,” Claudia said to Tidus, holding out the ring to him.

“I dunno, Claudia… You think that’s a good idea?”

Tidus was unconvinced and it showed. He shot me an intimate look that was filled with his disquiet, and I felt my insides twist in concern for him.

“At this point, it really won’t matter if you end up being cursed by the ring,” Claudia said. “I’m gonna remove the spell anyway, so you’ll be safe. Kind of.”

With a sigh, Tidus picked up the ring, enclosing it within his hands, as Claudia dropped the afghan. We all observed as Claudia reached up and unclasped a golden chain that had been hanging from her neck. I couldn’t see what the pendant was that hung from it, but whatever it was, Claudia stepped forward and fastened it around Tidus’ neck instead.

“Just for luck,” she said, with a weak grin.

“I won’t need it,” he said with firm assurance, but nevertheless, he still kept it.

“Ready?” Claudia asked again, stepping back as Tidus moved further away from the rest of us. He stood, alone, in a patch of grass illuminated by the moonlight. “Remember, it’s just like we practiced…”

“I’m ready,” Tidus repeated, emotionless, with over-bright eyes.

I felt Addy’s hand tugging at my arm, and she pulled me back with her, closer to the trailer and away from Claudia and Tidus. She took my hand, and in return I gave her a hollow smile of comfort.

Claudia’s voice began to fill the backyard now, and with a resonance that was quiet, but strong. The Witch’s eyes were closed, and her hands were hanging limply down at her sides. Meanwhile, Tidus was standing still, like a statue, with a single hand stretched out before him. And the Countess’ ring lay in the center of his palm, glittering ominously in the moonlight.

The language Claudia spoke, I didn’t understand. I couldn’t have told anyone if it was Greek or Pig Latin. All I heard were strangely sounding words coming from the Witch in odd, guttural tones. Seconds passed as this went on, and nothing else seemed to happen. In some ugly, bitter corner of my heart, a secret part of me rejoiced that maybe, perhaps, it wouldn’t work after all. But that hope was dashed when I saw the beginnings of the black smoke.