Chapter Thirteen - Part Three

I couldn’t help but grin at her juvenile lip-biting and blushing.

“Well, I’m not really supposed to let anyone behind the desk. It’s not allowed…”

Ethan looked up and down the hallway in a secretive fashion that he had somehow found a way to make intimate.

“I don’t think anyone’s paying attention. So, you can do it just this once, right?”

The wink was all it took – the icing upon the cake.

“Um, ok I guess.” Amanda said, with her face exceptionally red as she pushed her chair back a little, allowing Ethan to hop skillfully over the counter. He leaned down close to her, as they both gazed at the computer screen together, shooting me a quick wink over the top of her head. And with a smirk of approval, I watched Ethan expertly rest his right hand on Amanda’s shoulder. He then brushed his fingertips softly against the exposed skin of her arm, and her eyes went wide as she felt him.

And as Amanda turned to look (googly-eyed and mystified) at his hand on her arm, Ethan took his opportunity. Deftly, Ethan snuck his left hand to her bet loop and yanked a small ring of keys from their place at her side. The keys and his hand then disappeared, quick as a flash, into his pocket.

Wow, thank you so much Amanda.” Ethan said smoothly, re-hopping across the desk.

“Of course, you too! No, I mean, have a good day! Yeah – have a good day.”

Ethan looked back at her as he walked, giving her a cute little smile and a wave. But he insisted on being charming for just two seconds too long, because when Ethan turned his face again, he walked smack into a pillar.

Quickly, I stuffed my fists against my mouth to muffle the sound of my scream of laughter. Even Amanda had to look away and pretend very hard that she hadn’t noticed her boyfriend walk into a column.

“Very smooth, sailor,” I said, tousling Ethan’s hair as he walked around the corner.

“No, I meant to do that,” he insisted, rubbing the middle of his forehead, which had gone a little red. “Can’t have her thinking I’m perfect, now can we?”

“Right,” I said. “We’d better get out of here, before she notices her keys are missing.”

So, back to the elevator we went, where the fourth key was the charm, turning easily in the slot. I pressed the button, and down we headed, finally on the right track again.

*  *  *

The elevator opened into a spacious, uncluttered room filled with an exceedingly uncomfortable number of pointy, metal instruments. Two neat rows of cold, steel trays occupied the space in the center of the room, but only three of them had bodies. With a shiver, I noticed that one of the sheets was stained with fresh red blood in some places.