Chapter Eight - Part Two

“What was your proof?” I said.

“Sully’s diary.” Tidus said, straightening and stuffing his hands in his pockets. “She admitted that she felt guilty for what happened, and she confessed that my brother had had nothing to do with her attack. Someone else was responsible, but she never wrote who. Not even in the suicide note.”

“Well it sounds to me like someone out there would have had a lot to lose if you exposed the truth. Someone obviously stole it from you, and maybe whoever took the diary still has it. Hey, maybe you can get it back –”

“Naomi, it’s been almost sixty years.” Tidus said, his voice coming out suddenly harsh, and condescending. “The person who did this could be dead by now, or very close to it.”

“Ok,” I said, trying not to feel hurt. “But maybe that person wasn’t a Human or a Wolf. Maybe it was another Vampire – and if that’s the case, then there’s more than a good chance that this person is still alive.”

“And what makes you think they didn’t destroy the diary, huh, Naomi?” Tidus replied, taking a step towards me in his anger. “Why would someone leave that kind of evidence just lying around for sixty years? Because if I were them, I would have gotten rid of it the second I had the chance.”

“You know what?” I said, staring him down as I crossed my arms over my chest. “It kinda seems like maybe you don’t really want the diary found, Tidus. You’re acting like maybe you’d just prefer it stayed hidden, but that wouldn’t make much sense. Because only Sully’s attacker – or someone who knew who the identity of the attacker – would want something like that. But that’s just my input…”

A few moments of heated stillness ensued as we both glowered at each other. Quickly, I put my hands behind my back to hide their sudden shaking. It was too much too fast to allow myself to suspect that Tidus could have attacked Sully. After all, his anger at her could have been an obvious motive.

But at the same time, looking into those angry, hurting eyes, I had a hard time even imagining that Tidus would have ever let his brother take the fall for something so appalling.

“Look, I’m sorry if I cornered you into that story.” I said, in attempt to break the ice. “I didn’t bring this up in order to make you a punching bag. I just wanted to make sure that what happened between our families isn’t going to determine what happens between us.”

“You asked for the story, and I had no problem giving it to you.” he said, and the narrowing of his eyes told me that my apology had only served in exasperating him further. “And it’s up to you to decide what to make of it. But understand, this isn’t leverage for us to somehow get closer. You and I – we’re business, Naomi. So don’t waste your time inventing problems between us that you think need solving.”

And without another word, Tidus brushed past me to join the line of fellow passengers that were beginning the queue to board the plane. Feeling my own stirrings of anger, I observed as the young blonde attendant that was accepting tickets immediately caught his attention. They locked eyes, and he grinned, causing her to smile coquettishly at him from around her line of customers.