Chapter Twelve - Part Five

consequences of holding out on your end of the deal. And for that – we can’t help you. You’ll have to help yourself this time.”

“But, but, but… It’s your job, goddamn you! It’s your job to help me!”

He began to shake his fist at the camera screen, walking closer.

 “I’ve done everything I can. I told him that I was sorry – can’t that be enough?! I’ve lost my wife, my kids, my job – but I’m still one of you, aren’t I? You’ve got to help me! You’ve got to! I can’t stop this itching, but I won’t live like a dog! I refuse! I’m Garou, but that doesn’t make me an animal! I’m not! Get your hands off me! Get off! Help me, damnit! Someone help –”

Two very large and burly Pack members had appeared from nowhere to drag Mr. Meridian, yelling, from the room. His odd, hysterical ranting left a ghostly echo about the room, clashing in an unexplainably loud way with the sudden silence.

“So, what happens to him if he doesn’t do what his friend asks?” I said, to no one in particular. “What happens if he still ignores the terms?”

“Who knows? Without intervention, that contract could have him scratching for the rest of his life. He could hit bone one day and bleed out.” Mathew said, speaking with a morbid thoughtfulness. “Or maybe he’ll get an infection of some sort and die from that. Or he could simply go insane… Either way, he’ll do the right thing by his friend, or the Rules of the Red will take care of him…”

*  *  *