Chapter Three - Part Two

But even with all that power that the Elder of the Garou was afforded, I knew that he would most likely remain intent on hoarding it. But even so, the more I thought about it, the more I suspected that deep down, maybe, the Eldership was really mine. And an even smaller part of me had reason to believe that Charles owed me answers anyway, and it was no longer his right to refuse them.

However, I knew that it wouldn’t be wise to just go in with guns blazing to secure my demands. I needed to think wisely when it came to this. After all, the Elder was clearly very powerful, and I knew that it would be imprudent to underestimate him.

“I don’t know.” I said, failing as I tried to squint through the patchwork of gray skies to spot the sun. “As cliché as it sounds, I still feel like it would be so much more practical if we all just lived in a diplomatic coexistence. After all, we get along with Humans, don’t we?”

“That’s only because the majority of Humans choose to pretend like we don’t exist.” Adelle replied, in manner that was admonishing but somehow kindly too. “Otherwise, the Humans would just go psychotic and end up slaughtering Supernaturals – they do it to each other all the time. Hello – the Holocaust, Pearl Harbor? Humans are stupid, Naomi, but they still outnumber us.”

Briefly, I reflected on Adelle’s severe outlook on Humans. Yes, it was true that at times I had come across many who had been… unnecessarily cruel and selfish. But then again, I had also met others who had been completely virtuous, and seemed purer than the snow. And those were the ones whose faces I chose to remember. They were the ones that reminded me of who I was and where I came from.

And besides my father, the Humans had been the only ones I had ever considered family.

“You can’t trust any of the others.” Adelle warned. “I mean, we all get along for now, but some heavy shit has gone down between all the Supernaturals in the past hundred years. And a lot of people are scared that we’re just teetering on the brink of some epic war that could destroy us – even the Humans. And that’s not something that we should ignore.”

“I get what you’re saying, but I just don’t like the idea of taking sides.” I said firmly, casting Adelle a sideways look. “I don’t see the point in claiming the Pack, just to denounce everyone else. How is that right?”

“It’s not about what’s right, that’s just the way it is – and has been – for a while. Look, babe, the Garou already have to share Harbor with a vampire clan, and a witch coven. You add Charles to that list, and then mix em’ all together, and you’ve brewed yourself a pretty nice shit storm. So my suggestion, is that we focus on the Elder for now, and don’t go digging in other sandboxes until we figure this out first. We can do the whole ‘world piece’ bit later, when we figure out what to do about the Elder.”

From the frustrated, defensive look on Adelle’s face I could tell that I was striking a nerve with my unwillingness to conform. I was the spoon in this bowl, stirring things up, and I was sorry for that. But at this point, I couldn’t lie and say that I wouldn’t continue to do it. However, I could at least be a friend, and offer her consolation in return.

“Hey, if you’re feeling a little pressured right now, that’s understandable. And you’re right, this is a serious situation, and I shouldn’t take it lightly.” I said, giving Adelle a smile of reassurance. “You’ll be under a lot of heat soon to show Charles that I’m not a threat, and I need to help with that. So, what if I go visit Charles and Diane? I can make an appearance and wave the white flag – which would definitely throw them off guard. Besides, I know that if I want to fit in around here, I’m going to have to at least pretend to adapt, right?”