Chapter Five - Part One

* * *

CHAPTER FIVE

* * *

Unease must have been written heavily upon my face the next morning, as I sat glowering behind my coffee and toast. With a sharp eye, but a quiet tongue, Mrs. Trentley refilled my mug. Sensing my mood, she was hesitant to leave, but just as reluctant to stay.

"Naomi, dear, you look like death." Mrs. Trentley said finally. "What happened to you and Adelle last night? What kind of trouble have you landed yourself in?"

"Please, Mrs. T." I said with a scowl. "Must you always ask me that question? I am an adult, you know."

"Yes you are." she agreed briskly. "But what does that have to do with anything? It's us adults that get ourselves into the worst kind of trouble. Children don't know the world like we do - not in the least."

Fortunately, the doorbell sounded, saving me from having to reply. And with a sigh, Mrs. Trentley straightened, smoothing her uniform.

"I'll just get the door then." she said, and a few moments later, Addy joined me in the dining room, alone, and freshly showered. But the dark circles beneath her own eyes suggested that she hadn't slept a lick either.

"Here," Addy said, producing a baggy from her large, Coach purse. At first glance I assumed it was kush, but closer inspection revealed small clumps of dried, crushed leaves that were green and gray in color. She dropped it on the table and I opened it, skeptical, as strong, familiar odor began to permeate the room.

"Ew, what is this?" I asked, wrinkling my nose at the bag.

"Its vervain." Addy said, sitting down heavily in a chair to my right, and plucking an apple from the fruit bowl. "It's a kind of plant." she continued. "It helps to ward off Vampires. Tastes like ass, of course, but it's worth the trouble it takes to force it down. I've heard it's easier drinking it in your tea..."

Tea... tea....

TEA!!!

"What the fuck?!" I said, running my fingers through my hair and scratching my scalp in deep meditation.

"What? What is it?" Addy said, chewing through a mouth full of apple.

"I had this stuff before - a few days ago. It was in this tea that Diane made. I only took one sip, but I remember it tasted fucking awful... Why didn't she tell me that she was giving me vervain?"

"I don't know, maybe this just shows that she's as scandalous as her douchey husband. Or..."

"Or?" I prompted back.

"Or, we should be on our knees kissing her Prada heels. Because what if Tidus had bitten you last night? Who knows - maybe that one sip of dear old Grammy's 'spiked tea', could have stopped him from draining you. And granted, what Diane did was kind of underhanded, but maybe that's just her dysfunctional way of caring about you. I mean, it's not like she poisoned you, babe."

"Yeah, maybe... Look, do you really think we need this?" I said, reckless in my uncertainty, I knew.

"Are you seriously asking that question?" Adelle said, looking at me with disbelief. "Because this stuff should be gold to you, honey. And are you gonna tell me what really happened between you and Tidus last night? I mean, I could totally fill in the blanks, but I'm thinking that that wouldn't do it nearly enough justice."

I said nothing, but focused on taking a dainty bite of my eggs.

"Hey, whatever, don't say anything then. But just so you know - ignoring it won't make it go away."