Chapter Fifteen - Part Two

night. It’s not that important. But I do think some wine would help get rid of some of the residual awkwardness of that conversation though.”

“Why don’t I get you another glass?” Ethan suggested, looking relieved.

“Please do.” I said, sighing as I watched him scamper off.

Marriage? Children? The idea of sharing that level of commitment with Ethan and the rest of his family was overwhelming, not to mention wildly unnerving. And not to say that it would be the worst thing in the world, but it still had this way of frightening me to death it was so… normal.

And Human.

Well, well, well, we certainly seem to have that one on a short leash these days.”

“Eve,” I said, knowing the voice before I’d even looked up. She was standing above me, suddenly, in an ice-blue gown with a white sash, white heels, and elbow-length white gloves. Her long, blonde hair was bone straight, tonight, and her makeup was applied to a T. For all intents and purposes, she was a tall, beautiful, ice queen.

Naomi,” Eve replied, taking Ethan’s empty seat. “I hope that you showing up here tonight means you’ve reached a decision – the right decision. Besides, it should go without saying that you and I need to stick together. You don’t wanna end up Ethan’s victim too, sweetie, trust me.”

I looked around us wearily before answering. Ethan would be back any second, and could hear anything if he chose the right moment.

“I’m not a victim, Eve. I’m not you.”

“Oh, yes, honey you’re definitely right about that. You aren’t me – not yet. But you will be if you stick with him. And I’ll be here to witness it. You’ll join the club and then I’ll stick your sexy little picture on the wall next to mine, along with all the other tramps in this town Ethan’s stuck his penis in.”

“I’m crying on the inside, really.” I said, giving her a cynically plaintive look. “Look, do you have your evidence yet?”

 “The night’s still young,” Eve replied. “Mathew is probably out running a train somewhere, Kimber is on her way to Hang-over Town, and Doe Eyes will be drooling over you all night. So that leaves me plenty of time to get what I need…”

Eve paused for a moment. Something above my left shoulder seemed to have caught her interest.

“And just when I thought our conversation couldn’t get any more fun…” Eve said, looking genuinely more pleased.

I turned quickly, looking over my shoulder to see Addy making her way towards us through the crowd, with Collin in tow. Although her dress was a dark violet tone, it was of a design reminiscent of the dress that Marilyn Monroe had worn for The Seven Year Itch. And a black headband in the shape of leaves and vines was fastened in her hair – a neatly pinned mass of spiraling red curls.