Chapter Five - Part Two

I stared up at him for several seconds, unable to come up with a single word to express the appropriate amount of gratitude. And when I found myself flinging my arms around Lucas in a tight, lingering hug, I knew that I wasn't the only one surprised by my actions. There was a short pause before Lucas decided to hug me back, but I was simply glad that he did. Because for a moment, it felt like I was being hugged by my father.

"And if you have any problems, with Ethan, you let me know." Lucas said, after we had both stepped back. "I know how to get through to that kid..."

"Thanks, I'll keep that in mind." I said, with a grin. He gave me a curt nod, and then I followed him into the warehouse.

* * *

Inside, I wandered my way through the large gathering until I managed to find Addy. I joined her at the head of the crowd, where the several hundred Garou were all positioned in a U-shape around the stage. There was no one up there yet, but I knew that the time had drawn near for someone to take his place upon it. And as if on cue, the volume of the crowd was suddenly reduced to a hushed murmuring, as the Garou parted respectfully to allow several persons to ascend the stage.

With a clear view, I could see Charles in business attire, backed by two other men and one woman who were all similarly dressed. Lucas was the only Leader who stood out of line from the others, and though he wasn't exactly knocking elbows with the Elder, he certainly wasn't standing behind the man either. And he was also the only Leader comfortable enough to sport jeans and a leather jacket.

Meanwhile, Charles raised a single hand, and conversation among the Garou ceased entirely. Spotlights that were hanging from the ceiling shed enough light to illuminate my grandfather and the other Leaders on the stage. With faint interest, I watched how the Elder glanced importantly to the woman behind him. She gave him a single nod and he began.

"Here we are again, on the evening of another glorious full moon. And we gather here today, as we do every month, to honor and celebrate what we have become."

There was silence as the Elder momentarily paused so he could study the crowd. And in that moment of watching him, I suddenly understood the reasons why the Garou would choose to be led by a man like him. He had a certain finesse that demanded respect and authority. And even though he was cold, and probably a little immoral, there was no doubt that to these people Charles Noble was a king.

"We are shopkeepers, bankers, and deliverers of fast-food. We are mothers and fathers, we are sons and daughters, but more importantly we are the Garou. And though we have blended into a society of Humans that chooses not to believe in our existence, here we stand - more corporeal and capable than we have ever been. And this evening, we have the honor of welcoming another strong wolf to our ranks - a wolf that I believe possesses every shred of the necessary qualities to one day lead us all..."

My heart began to thump as whispering enveloped the Garou, and people checked excitedly to see whether or not their neighbor could be the new Leader. Momentarily, I was paralyzed within my own anxiety, as one by one more eyes began to pick me out from the crowd. But somewhere to my right, I felt Adelle's faithful elbow dig painfully into my side.

"Get up there." she muttered from the side of her mouth, smiling and nodding at the curious onlookers.

Snapping somewhat to, I walked with a lethargy until I reached the stairs at the edge of the stage. Lucas was there to hold out one, rough, hand, and I hesitated. But he smiled and gave me a tiny nod of encouragement. So I accepted, and then joined the Elder at his side, beneath the warm lights. And underneath the scrutiny of so many pairs of judging, inquisitive eyes, I felt like an ant beneath a magnifying glass.