Chapter Four - Part Three

"Well," I said, taking the time to smirk jovially at his circle of whispering, laughing friends. "I guess I'd have to say that I'm sorry, but your friends were right and you were wrong."

He lashed out suddenly, taking hold of my arm, and I felt the heat of my own rising anger. This guy was big, and he was strong, but he was also human - which was a disadvantage for him and a gain for me. I had squared off with smaller men than him before, but they at least had bigger brains.

"Aw, c'mon. Don't be like that sugar -"

"I'm not sweet. And you'd better get your hands off me." I said, remaining pleasant and patient. "Before I embarrass you in front of your friends..."

But this only made him laugh as his hand clamped down in a tighter, more painful grip. Easily, I shook off him off and then punched him in the gut, hard. He doubled over, and then sank to his knees, clutching his stomach as he coughed and wheezed. And while his buddies laughed, I snagged one of their beers from the counter top, dumping the remaining contents across the top of his head.

"Hey, next time you're trying to get laid, try being a gentleman." I said, winking at him and the horrified look upon his face, before exiting the kitchen.

As I made the short walk back to the living room, hidden speakers began to hum and pound with the bass of Tech N9ne's Fragile. I stood in the doorway, scanning the dancing crowd, until I found Ethan. He stood alone, close by the wall, and was already watching me as if he had been there all along.

I walked across the room to him, where he pulled me into his arms, letting his hands drop to my waist. To the rhythm of the music, I danced slowly against him. Running my fingers through my hair, I lifted it from my shoulders seductively, as I turned to press my back against his chest.

As we danced, I felt my skin come alive beneath the heat of his breath on my neck. And I certainly didn't mind the feeling of his hands on the skin of my exposed thigh. But without warning, he spun in his arms, forcing me to face him again. I half expected and half hoped that he would kiss me then, but for the time being he was only interested in watching me from the front.

We continued dancing until the song was over. By then, his warm body and his hungry eyes had made a decision for me that I hadn't thought I would for a while longer. "Upstairs, second floor." Ethan whispered in my ear, slipping something into my hand. "Five minutes."

He let me go and then left me for the short, narrow staircase in the hall, disappearing upwards. Meanwhile, I looked down to see the small, orange hair tie that he had left in my hand. Suddenly thirsty from nervousness and apprehension, I picked up a stranger's forgotten cup of something purple, and took enough sips to take the edge off. The end of another song came, and then it was my turn to follow Ethan up the creaking, carpeted stairs to the second floor. There were three doors to choose from, and each was closed with a different colored hair tie. And the closer I approached, the more I noticed the sounds of creaking springs and low moans.

The door in the middle was the one with the matching orange hair tie. With a deep breath and a quickening heartbeat, I slipped its partner around the knob, and opened the door.

* * *

I saw a dark, hooded figure standing outside the small pool of moonlight that spilled through the open window. I took my eyes from him for mere seconds in order to close and lock the door behind me, but when I straightened he was gone. Stepping further into the room, I noticed the figure was no longer before me, and that it was suddenly much darker now - even without the dim lighting from the hallway.

"Ethan, I -"

But something cold and extremely soft was suddenly brushing against my face to cover my eyes - a tie perhaps, or maybe a girls' silk scarf. I stood there and let him do it, my heart thumping wildly in my chest. And then a cold, tight hand was curled around my wrist and leading me in the direction of the bed, but I pulled back and he stopped, waiting for me to speak.