Chapter Twelve - Part Three

any of this…” Ethan replied with terribly feigned nonchalance. He scuffed a toe against the carpet, with his head down, looking up at me through thick lashes.

“Ugh. You are so low. Fine!” I said angrily, knocking his shoulder with my own as I marched past him. For all I knew, even the Elder could have had something to do with this. I couldn’t risk him finding out.

“But I swear to god, Ethan. If you cause a mess at the morgue, I will stick you in one of those freezers, and leave you. I mean it.”

“I’ll be a good boy, Mimi.” Ethan said with a gentleman’s smile. “Promise. Scout’s honor.”

“You aren’t a scout.”

He strode across the bedroom to the door, and held it open for me.

“Breakfast before we go?”

And with a final scowl for an answer, I grabbed my purse and he followed me out.

*  *  *

We were two minutes shy of being late to the Leadership meeting, and I was still chowing down on a muffin, as we scrambled from my house and across the lawn to Ethan’s car. He sped around corners and revved through yellow lights as I tried not to choke while I ate. But luckily we made it to the Maison in one piece, striding quickly through the hotel doors.

“Leader Noble, Champion Raines.”

As usual, Annie, the rude waitress gone nice, was there to greet us. She brought out a key and opened the familiar wooden door behind her small counter, closing it behind us after we entered. And there was the click of her key as she turned the lock.

She had left us in a small, but not cramped room, with a silver elevator and two small tables. They each held a vase with thin, purple flowers that had large cones protruding through their middles. Smaller purplish buds adorned the cone and as usual, I thought to myself how it was such a strange and ugly looking little flower to serve as decoration – even if it was vervain. They were the only splash of color to offset the white of the walls and floor.

“I hate that we have to be locked in here.” I said, still looking around. “I think Annie secretly enjoys it because she knows it bothers me.”

“Channeling your inner Adelle, are we?” Ethan said, and walked forward to press the white button on the panel beside the elevator. There was a soft clicking and whirring sound of motors and pulleys coming to life, and then a single ding as the elevator opened.

“After you,” Ethan said politely, holding the door for me. Sticking my tongue out at him, I obliged. And then, downwards we were going, descending through thousands of feet of the earth’s crust. There had only been one button to push – one floor to select – and like always my heart was hammering at the thought of it. I didn’t like the idea of going underneath the earth. The thought of it reminded me of coffins. It left my skin sweating. I bit my lip and shut my eyes, trying to quell my irrational fear along with the sudden impulse to freak out and run in wild circles, screaming.

“Are you ok?” Ethan whispered in the dim lighting of the two electric lamps on the ceiling.

“I admit, I could be better.” I said, without opening my eyes.

He laid a hand at my back, rubbing it in firm, but not un-gentle circles, as I bent over and placed my hands on my knees. I focused on my breathing, willing myself to remain calm and not panic. I was part wolf damnit.

Eventually the elevator slowed, the doors were sliding open again, and we were free. Embarrassed, I emerged into the brightness of the new room, inwardly cursing as I stumbled gracelessly.