Chapter Four - Part Two

"In case you didn't know, my dad is a member of the Leadership too, and he happened to find out some pretty interesting news recently. Now supposedly, your grandfather is making you a Pack Leader - and you don't even have to be voted in. Is that true?"

"Yes, ok?" I replied, with a scowl. "And for your information, I don't have to be 'voted in' because the Eldership is my birthright. Besides, why do you care?"

"You know damn well why I care, Naomi. So, you accepted, right?"

My eyes darted back to the head of the bar, where Lucas stood, still rooted firmly to the same spot. And though he made no attempts to mask his curiosity, I knew that even with the wolf's keen hearing, Lucas couldn't hear our conversation from above the din of the music and the crowd."

"The Elder is going to announce it tomorrow." I said coldly. "At the gathering."

"Well, did the Elder tell you that you could have a Champion?"

"A Champion?" I repeated skeptically. "What's that?"

"A Champion is an Elder's - or a potential Elder's - second in command, Naomi. "They would protect you, and advise you. And should anything happen to you - god forbid - they would take your place on the Leadership."

Ethan's words were coated in honey and sugar, and his sincerity urged me to trust him.

"Right, which means that I would be putting you in the perfect opportunity to have a shot at the Eldership one day, right? Wow, I guess you've never heard of doing something just for the sake of being nice, have you?"

"Oh, I could be nice to you all night long, Naomi." Ethan replied coolly, continuing to lean against the wall as he observed my rising discomfort. "But I'm offering this to you, because I know it could be a good thing for us both."

With my curiosity effectively piqued, I took a single, cautious step forward.

"Go on."

"My family has a lot of pull in this town." he said in a low voice. "And you can make that capitalize on that just by appointing yourself a reputable Champion."

"I could ask Addy." I said obstinately, and feeling furious when this only caused Ethan to chuckle.

"Don't be naïve." he said with a grin, although his tone was quite serious. "The Leadership won't be impressed with Adelle, you'll only annoy them. C'mon, think about it - I'm your pick."

I surveyed him with a deep, burning mistrust, but I was relenting nonetheless. Because what he promised could actually prove beneficial, providing I worked the circumstance to my advantage.

"Ok, fine. Ethan, you can be my Champion." I said, in miserable defeat.

Immediately, I was swept into Ethan's tight embrace. In his triumph, he twirled me on the spot, and I gave a sharp, unfamiliar squeal of laughter. He set me down, dizzy, and I leaned against the wall until the world was back in focus. And when it had, Adelle was sudden there again. She was standing before me, tucked beneath the arm of a cute boy in a letterman jacket with bedroom eyes for Adelle.

"My adorable new friend here has found us a house party." Addy said to me, ignoring Ethan. "Free drinks. You in?"

Briefly I looked to Ethan, and he flashed me an extremely sexy half-smile.

"Um, yup." I said, feeling warm again.

"Then let's go." she replied, and she and her date headed for the bar's exit.

"You can ride with me." Ethan said, throwing his arm over my shoulder too. But as he steered me to the exit, I couldn't help but throw one last look behind me to Lucas. He looked back at me with that same, puzzling frown, looking for all the world as if he needed to say more... but he didn't.