Chapter Two - Part Four

An awkward, stiff silence passed between us. Even Mr. Franks squirmed uncomfortably in place.

"You can stand there in your cheap shoes with your arrogant little smirk and judge me, but your father made the same, hard decisions that I did. And do you honestly think the fact that he sent you a few post cards over the years entitles you to any of this?"

In response to her question, the envelope was crushed in my hand.

"Leave Harbor, Naomi. There's nothing for you here. And if you're hesitant because of what Mr. Talbot might say, well, then we can settle this out of court. You can keep the money, just give me the manor and then leave town." 

"I'm so sorry." I said, with coldness to my mother. "But I can't do that. And I wouldn't, not even if it meant I could have back what's left of my worthless family. I forgave you, Paris, when my father died and I couldn't see him. Somehow, I still forgave you for taking his funeral away from me. But I will kiss your fucking ass, before I let you let have this. I'll see you in court."

I waited to watch my mother's sneer crumble completely, before turning and offering Mr. Franks my most affable smile. I imagine watching my mother's face as it fell must have been a bit like viewing the complete construction of the Leaning Tower of Pisa. But in reverse. 

"Good-bye, Mr. Franks."

I got into my car, trembling, and from the rearview mirror, I watched my mother's lawyer climb back into the limo. It was still for a few seconds, and then pulled away. And doing the breathing techniques that I remembered from anger management, I pulled out my new IPhone and dialed the first and only number that I had saved.

"Mr. Talbot speaking."

"Mr. Talbot, hello, it's Naomi Noble." I said, speaking with hesitance. "I'm sorry to bother you, but something's happened and I need help. I wasn't really sure who else to call...

"I am at your service Miss Noble." Mr. Talbot reassured with kindness.

"I remember what you wrote, in the letter you sent me about my father's will. You said that she tied up the legal process somehow, and that's why my inheritance came in so late. Well, she's trying to do it again. She had me served just now, for the manor, and I think her lawyer may have found a flaw in my father's will – maybe something that no one noticed until now... Anyway, she's got a man named Jeremy Franks working for her –"

"Ah yes. From Proctor and Sool?"

"Yeah," I replied. "The same law firm you had to fight against before. That's why I was hoping that maybe you could do it again."

"I apologize, Miss Noble, but I'm afraid that since Paris has decided to take you directly to court, I wouldn't be of much use. You see, after your father died, Mr. Franks and Mrs. Noble were quite willing to maneuver their tactics without stepping inside an actual courtroom. And that is also why, ultimately, they failed. But it would appear now, that she has finally found something credible enough for court."

Mr. Talbot paused to issue a sigh that was troubling.

"I would imagine that whatever it is Mrs. Noble has against you, would lie in the veracity of the manor's deed."

"That's exactly what I was afraid of." I replied, with honest frustration, staring down at the tedious envelope with strong dislike. "But I'll come up with something. I really don't wanna lose the manor..."

"Well, maybe you won't lose the house after all, Miss Noble." said Mr. Talbot cleverly, and at once I was heartened by the sure tone of his voice. "Can you meet at noon tomorrow? Perhaps I'll have some useful information for you. Sometimes desperate times call for different measures."