Chapter Eighteen - Part Two

Addy reached into her pocket and withdrew a small, plastic baggy with a crushed, white powder held within. With eyebrows raised, I looked at her.

“It’s two – I just crushed them up for you. They’ll keep him knocked out for at least eight hours. But it can take up to thirty minutes for them to kick in, so you’d better do it soon.”

“Eve changed the plan on me.” I said, taking the baggy and tucking it away in my back pocket. “Since Ethan’s out of the question, she wants me to find an alternate way of breaking the curse, otherwise I’m not getting that ring back.”

“That cow,” said Addy. “Although, can’t say I don’t blame her for wanting to save her own sorry skin. You know, I have a feeling that she would not die gracefully…”

“She’s getting ballsy,” I said, rubbing my forehead with a sigh. “And she knows that she has me backed into a corner. She could string me along forever if she wanted.”

“We need to teach that tramp a lesson, Mimi.” Addy said with a determined smirk. “Put her back in her place – remind her who the Leader is.”

“Don’t worry, I’ve got a handle on it. I’ll call Tidus and ask him if he and Claudia can meet tonight to do the truth spell. That way, not only do I get the chance to pick Claudia’s brain about The Order, but she might be able to find a solution to our problem with Eve.”

“Ok, I guess those beans are sort of cool. But what about Ethan the Barbarian? What do we do about him while you’re off saving the Village?”

I gave Addy a pleading smile.

“Addy, would you mind babysitting for me, pretty please? Eve knows the curse will take effect if she removes the ring, but I still don’t wanna risk leaving him alone. She really could try to kill Ethan.”

“Well, I did have a date with Collin planed, but, we don’t want Lover Boy in jail with Daddy-O too. I suppose I could cancel for a rain check…”

“Are you kidding?” I said, nudging my friend on the shoulder. “Invite him over. Hang out. Ethan will be passed out on the couch anyway. But if you guys do stuff – just try not to ruin the leather. Mrs. Trentley is pretty much paid to reprimand me...”

“Mimi: question. What are you gonna do when you show up to Claudia’s tonight without the ring? Aren’t she and Tidus gonna go ape?”

“Probably,” I said, biting my lip at the thought of it. “But, I’m thinking of giving the honest route a go for once – call it inspiration. And besides, Tidus was the main influence behind all of this. So if he wants the Council, he has to help me take down Charles – and that includes helping me with the speed bumps.”

 “Amazing, truly amazing. Your genius never ceases to amaze me.” Addy said with a smile, but after only a moment the smile wobbled before sliding completely off. “But, Mimi, there’s something I’ve been wanting to ask you.”